Trumpeter Jack Sheldons debut on record was undeniable proof that he had established himself among the most promising young talents of his era. He had an exciting conception, warm tone, and an earthier sound than his peer, Chet Baker. On the quartet session here, Sheldon is backed by the trio of the articulate, fleet, swinging pianist Walter Norris, who composed three of the originals included. Norris is also the pianist on the first quintet sides, with Sheldons fine horn and Zoot Sims hard-swinging tenor. In the final quintet here, the main assets include the fire and drive of pianist Kenny Drew and the Bird-influenced saxophonist Joe Maini.
Today, over fifty years after these first recordings by Jack Sheldon for producers Herbert Kimmel and Dick Bock, his well-earned reputation as one of the best trumpeters ever to grace the West Coast scene remains unchallenged.
Total time: 74:27 min.
01. Get Out of Town (Cole Porter) 2:32
02. Ah, Moore (Al Cohn) 3:11
03. Dozo (Walter Norris) 2:40
04. Cheek to Cheek (Irving Berlin) 3:20
05. Mad about the Boy (Noel Coward) 2:52
06. Streets of Madashi (Walter Norris) 3:06
07. Toot Sweet (Ralph Pena) 2:50
08. Jacks Depart (Walter Norris) 3:04
09. What Is There to Say (Vernon Duke) 3:36
10. Groovus Mentus (Jack Sheldon) 3:56
11. Beach-Wise (Bob Whitlock) 3:10
12. Palermo Walk (Bob Whitlock) 3:15
13. Blues (Traditional) 4:44
14. Irresistible You (Raye-DePaul) 3:57
15. Guatemala (Walter Norris) 3:22
16. I'm Getting Sentimental Over You (Dorsey-Washington) 3:44
17. It's Only a Paper Moon (Arlen-Rose-Harburg) 7:19
18. Contour (Kenny Drew) 5:55
19. Leroy's Blues (Kenny Drew) 6:56
Tracks #1-8, from the 10" LP "Get Out Of Town" (Jazz:West JWLP-1)
Tracks #9-16, from the 10" LP "Jack Sheldon Quintet with Zoot Sims" (Jazz:West JWLP-2)
All the above tracks also issued on the 12" LP "Jack Sheldon - The Quartet & The Quintet" (Jazz:West JWLP-6)
Track #17, also on the 12" LP "The Hard Swing" (World Pacific JWC-508)
Track #18, also on the 12" LP "Jazz West Coast, Vol. 2" (World Pacific JWC-501)
Track #19, also on the 12" LP "The Blues, Vol. 1" (World Pacific JWC-502)
Personnel on #1-8:
Jack Sheldon (tp), Walter Norris (p), Ralph Pena (b), Gene Gammage (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, at Western Studios, August 22 & September 4, 1954
Personnel on #9-16:
J. Sheldon (tp), Zoot Sims (ts), Walter Norris (p), Bob Whitlock (b), Lawrence Marable (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, at Capitol Recording Studios, on April 4, 1955
Personnel on #17-19:
J. Sheldon (tp), Joe Maini (as), Kenny Drew (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Lawrence Marable (d).
Recorded in Los Angeles, at the Forum Theatre, on November 18, 1955
John Neal at Western Studios (1-8), John Kraus & John Paladino at Capitol Recording Studios (9-16) and Dick Bock at the Forum Thatre (17-19)
These sessions were originally produced by
#1-8 by Herbert Kimmel (Outpost Productions)
#9-16 by Edward Mesner (Aladdin Records)
#17-19 by Dick Bock (World Pacific Records)
This CD compilation produced by Jordi Pujol
Mono · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.