An all-around master of his instrument modeled after Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan boasted an effortless, virtuosic technique and a full, supple, muscular tone that was just as powerful in the high register. His playing was always emotionally charged, regardless of the specific mood: cocky and exuberant on up-tempo groovers, blistering on bop-oriented technical showcases, sweet and sensitive on ballads. In his early days as a teen prodigy, Morgan was a busy soloist with a taste for long, graceful lines, and honed his personal style while serving an apprenticeship in Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers. Most of the music heard on this CD is not commonly found on live recordings from this era by Lee Morgan with Art Blakey.
01. The Chess Players (Wayne Shorter) 10:19
02. This Here (Bobby Timmons) 9:25
03. The Midget (Lee Morgan) 12:28
04. Nelly Bly (Wayne Shorter) 7:39
05. Along Came Betty (Benny Golson) 8:14
06. Dat Dere (Bobby Timmons) 10:08
07. This Here (Bobby Timmons) 10:24
08. Justice (Thelonious Monk) 3:13
09. Night in Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie) 6:56
01. Lester Left Town (Wayne Shorter) 13:05
02. Noise in the Attic (Wayne Shorter) 12:30
03. So Tired (Bobby Timmons) 9:48
04. It's Only a Paper Moon (Arlen-Harburg-Rose) 8:40
05. This Here (Bobby Timmons) 10:05
06. Sakeenas Vision (Wayne Shorter) 8:27
07. Koko's Waltz (Lee Morgan) 11:08
Lee Morgan (trumpet), Wayne Shorter (tenor sax), Bobby Timmons (piano), Walter Davis Jr. (piano only on CD2 #1), Jymie Merritt (bass), Art Blakey (drums).
All tracks recorded live at Birdland Club, New York City, 1960
CD-1: April 16 (#6,7,8), April 23 (#4,5,9), May 28 (#1,2), June 4 (#3)
CD-2: June 4 (#1), October 28 (#2,3), November 5 (#4,5), September 11 (#6,7)
Liner notes by Jordi Pujol
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas, S.L.