Bobby Timmons was one of the leading exponents of the funky school of jazz piano, who also contributed heavily to the so-called soul movement with his three hit compositions: Moanin, This Here, and Dat Dere, all part of his first album, This Here Is Bobby Timmons. But he was much more than that.
As this and his second album, Easy Does It, show, he was an imaginative, creative bop pianist with a richly varied repertoire. Both albums are models of unaffected, driving trio jazz in which the pianist, a catalytic, combustible player in any situation, makes full, two-handed use of the keyboard without ever resorting to pianistic tricks to make an easy point. Developing his solos with logic, consummate taste and an implacable sense of time, with Sam Jones and Jimmy Cobb providing sterling rhythm support, he showed he was an extremely capable, many-faceted performer as well as the groove-funk-soul purveyor of lazy cliché.
01. This Here (Bobby Timmons) 3:30
02. Moanin' (Bobby Timmons) 5:04
03. Lush Life (Billy Strayhorn) (piano solo) 2:28
04. The Party's Over (Comden-Green-Styne) 4:11
05. Prelude to a Kiss (Duke Ellington) 3:20
06. Dat Dere (Bobby Timmons) 5:23
07. My Funny Valentine (Rodgers-Hart) 5:05
08. Come Rain or Come Shine (Mercer-Arlen) 4:30
09. Joy Ride (Bobby Timmons) 3:57
10. Easy Does It (Bobby Timmons) 4:51
11. Old Devil Moon (Harburg-Lane) 4:35
12. A Little Busy (Bobby Timmons) 5:49
13. Ghost of a Chance (Crosby-Washington-Young) 4:52
14. Pretty Memory (Bobby Timmons) 3:30
15. If You Could See Me Now (Tadd Dameron) 6:29
16. I Thought About You (Mercer-VanHeusen) 4:58
17. Groovin' High (Dizzy Gillespie) 3:33
18. Autumn in New York (Vernon Duke) 2:08 *
(*) Bonus track
Tracks #1-9, from the album "This Here Is Bobby Timmons" (Riverside RLP-1164)
Tracks #10-17, from the album "Easy Does It Bobby Timmons Trio" (Riverside RLP-9363)
Track #18, taken from the album "Pianists Galore!" (Jazz West Coast JWC-506)
Personnel on #1-17:
Bobby Timmons (piano), Sam Jones (bass), Jimmy Cobb (drums).
Tracks #1-9, recorded at Reeves Sound Studios, New York City, January 13 & 14, 1960
Tracks #10-17, recorded at Bell Sound Studios, New York City, March 13, 1961
Personnel on #18:
Bobby Timmons (piano), Jimmy Bond (bass), Peter Littman (drums).
Recorded at the Forum Theatre, Los Angeles, sometime between July 24, 25 & 31, 1956
Engineers: Jack Higgins (#1-9) & Bill Stoddard (#10-17)
Original recordings produced by Orrin Keepnews
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.