Jimmy Giuffre set forth with these 1954-1955 sessions a bold new form for improvised music. In all, it was touted by many influential figures as one of the most stimulating contributions to first-rate modern jazz literature. In these, his first recordings as a leader, Giuffre shows a fine versatility, a communicative emotion and the ability to swing that made him a respected soloist on tenor, baritone and clarinet. Fifty years later, theres still some fascinating listening enjoyment here, and there will be for quite a while to come.
01. Do It! (Jimmy Giuffre) 3:17
02. All For (Jimmy Giuffre) You 2:46
03. I Only Have Eyes For You (Warren-Dubin) 6:14
04. Four Brothers (Jimmy Giuffre) 3:13
05. Sultana (Jimmy Giuffre) 2:50
06. Nutty Pine (Jimmy Giuffre) 3:10
07. Wrought Of Iron (Jimmy Giuffre) 2:48
08. Someone To Watch Over Me (G. & I. Gershwin) 3:07
09. A Ring-Tail Monkey (Jimmy Giuffre) 2:33
10. Iranic (Jimmy Giuffre) 4:47
11. Scintilla One (Jimmy Giuffre) 0:54
12. Finger Snapper (Jimmy Giuffre) 2:35
13. Lazy Tones (Jimmy Giuffre) 4:10
14. Scintilla Two (Jimmy Giuffre) 2:27
15. Chirpin Time (Jimmy Giuffre) 5:47
16. This Is My Beloved (Vernon Duke) 3:30
17. The Leprechaun (Jimmy Giuffre) 6:35
18. Scintilla Three (Jimmy Giuffre) 1:38
19. Rethoric (Jimmy Giuffre) 3:25
20. Scintilla Four (Jimmy Giuffre) 2:52
Tracks #1-10, from the album "Jimmy Giuffre" (Capitol T549)
Tracks #11-20, from the album "Tangents in Jazz" (Capitol T634)
Personnel on #1-3:
Jimmy Giuffre (cl, ts, bs), Jack Sheldon (tp), Russ Freeman (p), Curtis Counce (b), Shelly Manne (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, February 19, 1954
Personnel on #4-7:
Jimmy Giuffre (cl, ts, bs), Jack Sheldon (tp), Shorty Rogers (flh), Bob Enevoldsen (vtb, b), Bud Shank (as), Ralph Peña (b), Shelly Manne (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, April 15, 1954
Personnel on #8-20:
Jimmy Giuffre (cl, ts, bs), Jack Sheldon (tp), Ralph Peña (b), Artie Anton (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, January 31 (8-9) and June 6,7 & 10 (11-20), 1955