Includes extensive booklet with recording details, extensive notes and rare photos.
You rarely heard his name mentioned among the greatest of his instrument, but Richie Kamuca (1930-1977) was a superb tenor saxophonist who deserved better recognition in his lifetime. He led a fine well-rounded career in big bands, and his gifts as a soloist made him much in demand in small groups. If, initially, his languid, laid-back swing, light tone and lithe phrasing marked him as a Lester Young alumnus, over the years he developed into a hard-driving soloist with a distinctive style of his own.
Although he left us an extensive recorded legacy as a sideman, he also left some very distinguished albums as a leader, rarities to treasure. Over thirty years after his death, this CD set aims to revive an essential part of the musical legacy of a rare and unforgettable talent.
01. If I Should Lose You
(Rainger-Robin) 4:19 (*) Bonus Track
02. Blue Jazz (Bill Holman) 4:22
03. Stella by Starlight (Young-Washington) 3:20
04. Linger Awhile (Rose-Owens) 3:44
05. Its You or No One (Styne-Cahn) 4:02
06. Just Friends (Klenner-Lewis) 5:22
07. Rain Drain (Richie Kamuca) 3:34
08. Whats New (Haggart-Burke) 2:28
09. Early Bird (Carl Perkins) 4:12
10. Nevertheless (Kalmar-Ruby) 6:16
11. My One and Only Love (Wood-Mellin) 3:34
12. Fire One (Carl Perkins) 2:10
13. Cherokee (Ray Noble) 3:01
14. 'Way Down Under (Bill Holman) 3:33
15. Angel Eyes (Dennis-Brent) 3:59
16. Star Eyes (Raye-DePaul) 4:38
17. I Hadnt Anyone Till You (Ray Noble) 4:24
18. The Things We Did Last Summer (Styne-Cahn) 4:38
19. Indiana (Hanley-MacDonald) 4:34
Track #1, from the World Pacific Jazz album
Solo Flight (JWC-505)
Tracks #2-5 & #14-19, from the Hi-Fi Record album
Jazz Erotica (R-604)(*)
Tracks #6-13, from the Mode album
Richie Kamuca Quartet (LP-102)
(*) Previous CD releases of this album stated erroneously that it had been recorded in 1959.
RICHIE KAMUCA Quartet
Richie Kamuca (ts), Pete Jolly (p on #1), Vince Guaraldi (p on #2-5), Carl Perkins (p on #6-13), Leroy Vinnegar (b on #1, 6-13), Monty Budwig (b on #2-5) and Stan Levey (d).
RICHIE KAMUCA Octet
Richie Kamuca (ts), Conte Candoli, Ed Leddy (tp), Frank Rosolino (tb), Bill Holman (bs), Vince Guaraldi (p), Monty Budwig (b) and Stan Levey (d). Arrangements by Bill Holman.
Track #1 at Forum Theatre, Los Angeles, July 28, 1956
Tracks #2-5 at Vista de Oro Studio, L.A., May 26, 1957
Tracks #6-13 at Radio Recorders, L.A., June 5, 1957
Tracks #14-19 Vista de Oro Studio, L.A., May 27, 1957
Note: In his original LP release, track #5 was mistakenly
issued as If You Were No One and incorrectly credited to Bill Holman
Original recordings produced by Dick Bock (#1),
Rich Vaughan / David Axelrod (#2-5 & 14-19),
and Red Clyde (#6-13).
This CD compilation produced by Jordi Pujol
Hi-Fi / Mono · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered