Two Lee Konitz with Jimmy Giuffre collaborations reunited here on one CD. In Lee Konitz Meets Jimmy Giuffre, Jimmy contributed as soloist and arranger of a five-piece saxophone section. The thoughtful, contrapuntal writing creates a delicate mood, where everybody gets a chance to blow, and the engaging work of Konitz, Bill Evans, and Warne Marsh provides extremely rewarding moments. On You and Lee, Jimmy employed only a brass section and rhythm to back the altoist. He chose to keep the brass tightly muted, working always as a section, with no individual solos. In all, these sessions are a skillful, fascinating mixture of tonal beauty and emotional improvising.
Total time: 75:11 min.
01. Somp'm Outa' Nothin' (Jimmy Giuffre) 4:30
02. Someone to Watch Over Me (G. & I. Gershwin) 3:37
03. Uncharted (Jimmy Giuffre) 3:56
04. Moonlight in Vermont (Suessedorf-Blackburn) 4:00
05. The Song Is You (Kern-Hammerstein II) 5:06
06. Palo Alto (Lee Konitz) 3:09
07. Darn That Dream (Van Heusen-De Lange) 1:56
08. When Your Lover Has Gone (Einar A. Swan) 5:03
09. Cork 'n Bib (Lee Konitz) 9:51
10. I'm Getting Sentimental Over You (Bassman-Washington) 3:57
11. You Don't Know What Love Is (DePaul-Raye) 4:19
12. I Didn't Know About You (Ellington-Russell) 3:59
13. Ev'rything I've Got (Belongs to You) (Rodgers-Hart) 4:46
14. You're Clear Out of This World (Arlen-Mercer) 4:07
15. You Are Too Beautiful (Rodgers-Hart) 4:09
16. The More I See You (Warren-Gordon) 3:39
17. You're Driving Me Crazy (Walter Donaldson) 4:11
Tracks #1-9, from the album "Lee Konitz Meets Jimmy Giuffre" (Verve MGV-8362)
Tracks #10-17, from the album "You And Lee" (verve MGV-8335)
Personnel on "Meets Jimmy Giuffre":
Lee Konitz, Hal McKusick (alto sax), Warne Marsh, Ted Brown (tenor sax), Jimmy Giuffre (baritone sax, arrangements), Bill Evans (piano), Buddy Clark (bass), Ronnie Free (drums).
Recorded in New York City, May 12 (#1-5) & 13 (#6-9), 1959
Personnel on "You And Lee":
Ernie Royal, Irving Marky Markowitz, Phil Sunkel (trumpet), Bob Brookmeyer (valve trombone), Eddie Bert, Billy Byers (trombone), Lee Konitz (alto sax), Bill Evans (piano), Sonny Dallas (bass), Roy Haynes (drums). Jimmy Giuffre (arranger).
On tracks #14-17: Eddie Bert and Bill Evans out. Jim Hall (guitar), added.
Recorded in New York City, on October 29 (#10-13) & 30 (#14-17), 1959
Original recordings produced by Norman Granz
© 2010 by Fresh Sound Records
Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas, S.L.
-You And Lee
"One of the lesser-known Lee Konitz albums, this LP [...] features the altoist joined by six brass and a rhythm section for eight Jimmy Giuffre arrangements. The shouting brass contrasts well with Konitz's cool-toned solos and together they perform eight underplayed standards. Guitarist Jim Hall and pianist Bill Evans (who are on four songs apiece) are major assets behind Konitz on this pleasing set."
—Scott Yanow (All Music Guide)