Until 1958, singer Ed Townsend (1929-2003) had done everything in the popular music field except make the charts. That changed overnight when he recorded his own song For Your Love and shot up the pop charts. It led to New in Town, a memorable debut album with Nelson Riddle that captivated the audiences, followed a year later by Glad to Be Here which reunited him with Riddle.
Both albums displayed the exciting, glowing rhythms and natural exuberance in his vibrant and warmly expressive baritone voice. They went for evergreen standards like The More I See You, In the Still of the Night, Dont Get Around Much Any More and Brazil, and Eds own compositions, all performed in happy, swinging rapport with Riddle and the orchestra.
Unfortunately, the singer would have no further albums of his own, but he will be remembered not only as a versatile performer and songwriter, but also as the producer and composer, with Marvin Gaye, of one of the biggest hits of all time, Lets Get It On.
Total time: 77:12 min.
01. The More I See You (Warren-Gordon) 3:15
02. Lover, Come Back to Me (Romberg-Hammerstein) 2:28
03. Till the End of Time (Mossman-Kaye) 3:16
04. Do Nothin' Till You Hear from Me (Ellington-Russell) 3:26
05. Rockin' Chair (Carmichael) 3:51
06. Mam'selle (Goulding-Gordon) 2:45
07. I Am (Schuman-Edwards) 3:16
08. In The Still of the Night (Porter) 4:03
09. Symphony (Alstone-lawrence-Tabet-Bernstein) 3:16
10. Goin' My Way (Van Heusen-Burke) 2:57
11. Prisoner of Love (Columbo-Robin-Gaskill) 3:31
12. New in Town (Townsend-Morgan-Johnson) 3:02
13. When My Dream Boat Comes Home (Friend-Frank) 2:55
14. Golden Earrings (Young-Livingstone-Evans) 2:45
15. Don't Get Around Much Anymore (Ellington-Russell) 3:03
16. What's Wrong with Me (Townsend) 2:34
17. Brazil (Barroso-Russell) 2:11
18. Dinah (Akst-Lewis-Young) 2:35
19. Don't Ever Leave Me (Townsend) 2:38
20. On the Street Where You Live (Loewe-Jay-Lerner) 4:18
21. Deep in a Dream (Van Heusen-Delange) 2:37
22. Night and Day (Porter) 2:43
23. I'm In Love (Townsend) 2:31
24. Would I Love You (Spina-Russell) 2:52
25. For Your Love (Townsend) 2:49 (*) Bonus Track
Tracks #1-12, from the 12" LP "New in Town" (Capitol T 1140)
Tracks #13-24, from the 12" LP "Glad to Be Here" (Capitol T 1214)
Track #25, from the 7" Single Capitol 3926
Personnel on "New in Town" :
Conrad Gozzo, Cappy Lewis, Mickey Mangano, Dale McMickle (tp), Dick Nash, Tommy Pederson, Dick Noel, Juan Tizol, Si Zentner (tb), George Roberts (b-tb), Benny Carter, Wilbur Schwartz (as), Plas Johnson, William Green (ts), Jewell Grant (bs), Rene Hall (g), Eddie Beal (p), Joe Comfort, Red Callender (b), Larry Bunker, Alvin Stoller (d), Frank Guerrero (perc), 8 violins, 2 violas, 3 cellos, harp.
Recorded at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, October 17, 18 & 22, 1958
Personnel on "Glad to Be Here" :
Cappy Lewis, Joe Triscari, Jack Laubach, Dale McMickle (tp), Tommy Pederson, Paul Tanner, Jimmy Henderson, Peter Lofthouse, Dick Noel, Karl De Karske, Jimmy Priddy (tb), Benny Carter, Harry Klee (as), Justin Gordon, Plas Johnson, William Green (ts), Jewell Grant (bs), Rene Hall, Al Hendrickson (g), Eddie Beal (p), Joe Comfort (b), Larry Bunker, Earl Palmer, Mel Lewis (d), 6 violins, viola, cello.
Recorded at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, February 19, March 5 & 7, 1959
Personnel on bonus track #25:
Orchestra Arranged and Conducted by Gerald Wilson, featuring: Plas Johnson (ts); Jewell Grant (bs); Eddie Beal (p); Irving Ashby, René Hall (g); Earl Palmer (d).
Recorded at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, on May 22, 1958
Original recordings produced by Tom Morgan
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
24-Bit Digitally Remastered