The eldest of Bing Crosbys sons, Gary (1933-1995), became, almost inevitably, part of the entertainment business from his early teens, performing for quite a few years with considerable success as an actor and singer. Unfortunately, from the late 60s his career began to decline due to personal problems and never recovered. But in the late 50s, while he was still enjoying the limelight, he recorded these two albums, singing with swing, conviction and the benefit of some exceptionally crisp and driving jazz backing.
On the first, G.C. Belts the Blues, an eleven-piece band conducted and arranged by Marty Paich provides the swinging framework to Crosbys interpretations of well known, bluesy tunes.
On the second, The Happy Bachelor, arranger Bunny Botkin uses a quartet with guitar, with the occasional addition of a trumpet or a vibist to make it a quintet. The groups support adds zest to a collection of pleasant tunes, while Crosbys charm and personality reveal an artist of style and individuality.
01. Sentimental Journey (Green-Brown-Homer) 3:09
02. Whats Your Story, Morning Glory? (Williams-Lawrence-Webster) 3:09
03. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning (Hilliard-Mann) 3:18
04. Breeze (Blow My Baby Back to Me) (MacDonald-Goodwin-Hanley) 2:51
05. After the Lights Go Down Low (White-Lovett) 2:54
06. St. Louis Blues (handy) 3:38
07. Miss You So (Henderson-Scott-Robin) 2:23
08. Night Train (Washington-Simpkins-Forrest) 3:14
09. Baltimore Oriole (Webster-Carmichael) 2:50
10. Im Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town (Jacobs-Weldon) 3:40
11. Mood Indigo (Ellington-Mills-Bigard) 3:32
12. Blues in the Nigh (Mercer-Arlen) 3:33
13. The Happy Bachelor (Mercer-DePaul) 1:57
14. Glow Worm (Mercer-Lincke) 1:34
15. Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall (Roberts-Fisher) 1:27
16. This Little Girl of Mine (Charles) 2:24
17. Side by Side (Woods) 2:33
18. You Wont Be Satisfied Until You Break My Heart (James-Stock) 1:46
19. Ive Got My Love to Keep Me Warm (Berlin) 2:54
20. Mañana (Lee-Barbour) 2:32
21. Ill Never Be Free (Weiss-Benjamin) 2:47
22. Ole Buttermilk Sky (Carmichael-Robin) 1:50
23. Undecided (Shavers-Robin) 1:41
24. Im Beginning to See the Light (James-Ellington-Hodges-George) 2:16
Tracks #1-12 from the Verve album "Gary Crosby Belts the Blues" (MG VS-6018)
Tracks #13-24 from the Verve album "The Happy Bachelor" (MG VS-6067)
Gary Crosby (vocals on all tracks)
Personnel on #1-12:
Orchestra arranged and conducted by Marty Paich
Don Fagerquist, Al Porcino (tp), Frank Rosolino (tb), Bud Shank (as), Bob Enevoldsen, Bill Holman (ts), Bill Pitman, Al Viola (on #1,8,11 & 12), Al Hendrickson (g on #2-7,9 & 10), Claude Williamson (p), Joe Mondragon (b), Mel Lewis (d).
Recorded in Hollywood at Radio Recorders, on December 15 (#1,8,11 & 12); December 17 (#2,4,5 & 7); and December 18 (#3,6,9 & 10), 1959
Personnel on #13-24:
Orchestra arranged and conducted by Bunny Botkin
Tracks #19-22: Paul Smith (p), Howard Roberts (g), Joe Mondragon (b), Larry Bunker (d).
Tracks #17-18,23 & 24: Paul Smith (p), Gene Estes (vib), Howard Roberts (g), Joe Mondragon (b), Bill Richmond (d).
Tracks #13-16: Pete Candoli (tp), Paul Smith (p), Howard Roberts (g), Joe Mondragon (b), Larry Bunker (d).
Recorded in Hollywood at Radio Recorders, on April 8 (#19-22); April 9 (#17,18,23 & 24); and April 10 (#13-16), 1959
Original recordings produced by Norman Granz
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo 24-Bit Digitally Remastered