Bar code: 8427702900186
There is so much to love about this recording. It is distinctive in its simplicity. Every element of the music is shared and never forced. The rhythm is light and buoyant without needing to be aggressive, and the sound of the band is spacious. Everyone has room to add to the story but each player has the confidence and maturity to avoid getting in the way of the melody. The arrangements are simple and give rise to honest emotion, letting the songs speak for themselves. Ironically, this dedication to the lyrics and composition allows each musicians individuality to shine brightly, like light refracted through a prism.
The Great American Songbook, like Bach, Mozart, and Stravinsky, doesnt have to be modernized. But this disc is not an imitation of a historic sound. These are honest interpretations of timeless classics that are very much of the moment. Celeste, Jorge, Dee Jay, and Guillem have created a recording that is swinging, energetic, simple and lyrical. It can be enjoyed by the most discerning aficionado, or a casual listener new to jazz.
01. In The Still Of The Night (Porter) 3:37
02. I Get Along Without You Very Well
(Hoagy Carmichael) 3:01
03. No Regrets (Tobias-Ingraham) 2:46
04. The Call Of The Canyon (Hill) 4:16
05. Love Lies (Varner-Sheppard) 3:16
06. By Myself
07. Stardust (Carmichael) 5:47
08. Get Out Of Town (Porter) 3:55
09. Im Through With Love (Kahn-Livingston) 3:43
10. You Let Me Down (Warren-Dubin) 4:35
11. Solitude (Ellington) 5:09
12. Glad To Be Unhappy (Rodgers-Hart) 4:08
Celeste Alías (vocals), Jorge Rossy (pinao & vibes), Guillem Arnedo (drums), Dee Jay Foster (bass), Jaume Llombart (guitar, on #1, 8 & 11).
Recorded at Jorge Rossys Studio, Begues, Barcelona, from February to July 2013
Sound Engineer: Ferran Conangla
Mixed & mastered by Ferran Conangla at FCM Studio, Barcelona
Art Direction & Design: Fernando Prats
Illustration: Paula Bonet
Photography: Liliana Torres Expósito
Executive Producer: Miriam Guardiola