Conte Candoli, Pete Candoli, Stu Williamson (tp), Russ Cheever (ss), Charlie Mariano (as), Bill Holman (ts), Jimmy Giuffre (bs), Al Hendrickson (g), Max Bennett (b), Stan Levey (d), Peggy Connelly (vcl)
Reference: FSRCD 2206
Bar code: 8427328622066
This compilation has the historic appeal of including the unique recordings made by Russ Garcias Wigville Band, one of the most creative and exciting jazz ensembles that he put together during the Fifties. In this extraordinary band were Charlie Mariano, Peter and Conte Candoli, and Jimmy Giuffre among others.
On the second part of this CD the charming voice of Peggy Connelly is featured, and as usual, Russ Garcia conducts the band with his deft touch and musical finesse, something quickly evident to the aware listener. Enjoy them, because these recordings are fully representative of Russ Garcias versatile talent as a composer and arranger, in both the instrumental and vocal fields.
01. Rocky Road (Russell Garcia) 2:35
02. Floating (Russell Garcia) 2:17
03. Wigville (Russell Garcia) 1:51
04. Butter Duck (Russell Garcia) 2:13
05. Then The Lid Blew Off (Russell Garcia) 2:30
06. Mellow Bone (Russell Garcia) 2:11
07. Livin It Up (Russell Garcia) 2:18
08. Tone Row (Russell Garcia) 2:07
09. Smogville (Russell Garcia) 2:00
10. Lonely One (Russell Garcia) 2:22
11. That Old Black Magic (Arlen-Mercer) 3:13
12. Evry Time We Say Goodbye (C.Porter) 3:17
13. Travlin Light (Mercer-Mundy-Young) 2:28
14. Alone Together (Schwartz-Dietz) 3:14
15. Gentleman Friend (Horwitt-Lezzine) 2:44
16. Fools Rush In (Mercer-Bloom) 2:22
17. I Got Plenty O Nothin (G&I Gershwin) 2:39
18. Evry Time (Martin-Blane) 2:09
19. Why Shouldnt I? (Porter) 2:59
20. It Never Entered My Mind (Rodgers-Hart) 4:26
21. What Is There To Say (Harburg-Burke) 2:53
22. He Was Too Good To Me (Rodgers-Hart) 2:41
Tracks #1-10, from the 10" album "Wigville" (Bethlehem BCP1040)
Tracks #11-22, from the 12" album "Peggy Connelly -That Old Black Magic" (Bethlehem BCP53)
Personnel on tracks #1-10:
Russ Garcia (arr,cond), Pete Candoli, Conte Candoli (tp), Russ Cheever (ss), Charlie Mariano (as), Bill Hollman (ts), Jimmy Giuffre (bs), Max Bennett (b), Stan Levey (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, February 4, 1955
Personnel on tracks #11-22:
Russ Garcia (arr,cond), Pete Candoli, Stu Williamson (tp), Russ Cheever (ss), Charlie Mariano (as), Bill Hollman (ts), Jimmy Giuffre (bs), Al Hendrickson (g), Max Bennett (b), Stan Levey (d), Peggy Connelly (vcl).
Recorded in Hollywood, January 16-18, 1956
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Hi Fi · Digitally Remastered
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!