Marty Paich (p, arr, dir), Conte Candoli, Don Fagerquist (tp), Bob Enevoldsen (v-tb, ts), Harry Klee (fl, as, ts), Herb Geller (as), Bob Hardaway, Bob Cooper, Jimmy Giuffre, Richie Kamuca, Bill Perkins (ts), Jack Du Long, Marty Berman (bs), Max Bennett, Joe Mondragon (b), Stan Levey, Art Mardigan, Mel Lewis (d), Jack Costanzo (bongos)
Reference: FSRCD 2217
Bar code: 8427328622172
Marty Paich (1925-1995) became interested in jazz in 1940 when he heard the Jimmy Lunceford band play. As a student of the distinguished Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco, he absorbed the fundamentals of harmony and counterpoint. In 1951, with a Masters Degree in Composition he became one of the most sought after arrangers of the music business in the Los Angeles scene.
These recordings, the first he did as a leader, are not only further evidence of the talent, versatility and imagination of Marty Paich, but also a showcase for the more academic approach to jazz scoring he promoted within the boundaries of the West Coast school of jazz during the mid Fifties.
01. Tempo de Sylva (Marty Paich) 3:32
02. Tomjean (Marty Paich) 3:59
03. Stranger In The Rain (Marty Paich) 3:42
04. Kentucky Blue Grass (Marty Paich) 3:11
05. Tenors West (Marty Paich) 3:16
06. Paich-Ence (Marty Paich) 3:59
07. Con-Spirito (Marty Paich) 2:58
08. The Dragon (Marty Paich) 4:08
09. Jacqueline (Marty Paich) 3:28
10. At The Marty Gras (Marty Paich) 3:18
11. Ballet Du Bongo, Part I (Marty Paich) 3:59
12. Ballet Du Bongo, Part II (Marty Paich) 4:15
13. Take The 'A' Train (Ellington-Strayhorn) 3:03
14. Line For Lions (Gerry Mulligan) 3:04
15. There's No You (Adair-Hooper) 3:00
16. Shorty-George (Basie-Durham) 3:15
17. Times Square (Marty Paich) 2:23
18. Coldwater Canyon Blues (Marty Paich) 4:18
19. Four Blow Fours (Marty Paich) 2:32
20. Lonely Time (Marty Paich) 3:52
Personnel and recording dates:
Conte Candoli (tp), Bob Enevoldsen (v-tb), Bob Hardaway (ts), Marty Paich (p), Tony Rizzi (g), Max Bennett (b), Stan Levey (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, January 15, 1955
Conte Candoli (tp), Bob Enevoldsen (v-tb), Harry Klee (fl, ts, as), Bob Cooper (ts), Jack Du Long (bs), Marty Paich (p), Joe Mondragon (b), Art Mardigan (d), Jack Costanzo (bongos #11-12).
Recorded in Hollywood, February 1-2, 1955
Conte Candoli (tp), Bob Enevoldsen (v-tb), Harry Klee (fl, ts), Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Jack Du Long (bs), Marty Paich (p), Joe Mondragon (b), Frank Capp (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, November 10, 1955
Conte Candoli, Don Fagerquist, Ed Leddy (tp), Francis Fitzpatrick, Bobby Burgess (tb), Herb Geller (as), Richie Kamuca, Bill Perkins (ts), Marty Berman (bs), Marty Paich (p), Joe Mondragon (b), Mel Lewis (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, October 23, 1956
This CD compilation produced by Jordi Pujol
Hi Fi · Digitally Remastered
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!