Lee Wiley (vcl), Billy Butterfield (tp, lead), Nick Travis, Joe Ferrante, Tony Faso (tp), Cutty Cutshall, Rex Peer (tb), Hank D'Amico, Toots Mondello, Al Cohn, Nick Caiazza, Gene Allen (saxes), Moe Wechsler (p), Mundell Lowe, Barry Galbraith (g), Milt Hinton (b), Don Lamond (d), Al Cohn, Bill Finegan (arr)
Reference: 74321 90301 2
Bar code: 743219030122
01. The Memphis Blues (Handy-Norton) 3:26
02. From The Land of Sky Blue Water (Eberhart-Cadman) 2:43
03. The Ace in the Hole (Dempsey-Mitchell) 3:00
04. Someday You'll Be Sorry (Armstrong) 4:10
05. My Melancholy Baby (Norton-Burnett) 3:12
06. A Hundred Years from Today (Young-Washington-Young) 3:09
07. Blues in my Heart (Carter-Mills) 2:59
08. Maybe You'll Be There (Gallop-Bloom) 3:14
09. Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea (Koehler-Arlen) 2:57
10. I Don't Want to Walk Without You, Baby (Loesser-Styne) 2:43
11. Make Believe (Kern-Hammerstein) 3:16
12. A Touch of the Blues (George-Wilcox) 4:14
Total time: 39:38 min.
Originally released on RCA Victor LPM-1566
Lee Wiley, sings, with Billy Butterfield And His Orchestra
Billy Butterfield, trumpet & leader; Nick Travis, Joe Ferrante, Tony Faso, trumpets; Cutty Cutshall,rex Peer, trombones; Hank D'Amico, Toots Mondello, Al Cohn, Nick Caiazza, Gene Allen, saxophones; Moe Wechsler, piano; mundell Lowe, guitar, Barry Galbrait (replaces Lowe on #4,8,9,10); Milt Hinton, bass; Don Lamond, drums.
Recorded in New York City, 1957
All arrangements by Al Cohn & Bill Finegan
Liner notes: Leonard Feather
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
"The stellar A Touch of the Blues pairs Lee Wiley with an exceptional band led by trumpeter Billy Butterfield, whose warm, beautiful tone proves a sympathetic counterpoint to Al Cohn and Bill Finegan's otherwise dark, melancholy arrangements. While a title like A Touch of the Blues guarantees the listener few surprises, the album consistently avoids the familiar bluesy clichés -- Wiley's sensuality and sophistication suggest emotional depths to make such gestures redundant anyway. And like her more celebrated songbook sessions, the material here is expertly selected, complementing Wiley's inherent strengths while affording her the latitude to stretch out in new directions."
Jason Ankeny -All Music Guide
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!