THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE U.S.
Paul Horn who, in Chico Hamiltons words, was a man of many reeds and woodwinds proves here that he was more concerned with playing music of differing emotional styles than he was in sticking to a certain, well-defined rut.
There is constant change in this set; ebullience and restraint; soft, provocative swing and bucolic lushness. Everyone does extremely well, supporting and joining Horn in a variety of orchestral settings. Exceptional musicianship, fluidness, sensitivity and a thoughtful approach made these, Paul Horns first recordings as a leader, a showcase of the range and the technical prowess of his playing.
01. A Soldier's Dream (Allyn Ferguson) 3:42
02. Day By Day (Cahn-Stordahl-Weston) 4:28
03. To A Little Boy (Paul Horn) 4:07
04. Siddartha (Fred Katz) 5:46
05. Pony Tale (Paul Horn) 2:55
06. House Of Horn (Paul Horn) 3:30
07. Sunday, Monday Or Always (Van Heusen-Burke) 3:50
08. The Golden Princess (Fred Katz) 3:31
09. Interlude (Pete Rugolo) 4:38
10. Pony Tale (Paul Horn) 2:50
11. Lover Man (Davis-Ramirez-Sherman) 4:35
12. Mood Improvisation (Paul Horn) 3:49
13. Chloe (Kahn-Moret) 4:47
14. Romanze (Fred Katz) 4:11
15. A Parable (Paul Horn) 4:07
01. Blues For Tom (Paul Horn) 3:57
02. Yesterdays (Kern-Harbach) 4:06
03. The Smith Family (Nordine-Katz) 2:42
04. Invitation (Kaper-Webster) 4:06
05. Tellin' The Truth (Billy Bean) 3:33
Moods For Horn [#6-9] (Allyn Ferguson)
06. Effervescense 2:24
07. Reminescense 3:57
08. Exuberance 2:07
09. Ebullience 4:20
10. Give Me The Simple Life (Bloom-Ruby) 7:46
11. Willow Weep For Me (Ann Ronnell) 4:22
12. Jive At Five (Count Basie) 2:56
13. My Old Flame (Johnston-Coslow) 4:28
14. Swedish Pastry (Barney kessel) 2:50
Arrangements by Paul Horn, Allyn Ferguson, Pete Rugolo and Dick Katz
Tracks #1-9 (CD 1), from the album "House of Horn" (Dot DLP-3091)
Tracks #10-12 (CD 1) & #12-14 (CD 2), from the Stars of Jazz TV Show
Tracks #13-15 (CD 1), #1-3 (CD 2) and #5-9 (CD 2), from the album
"Plenty of Horn" (Dot DLP-9002)
Track #4 (CD 2) was recorded during the 'Plenty of Horn' session but was not included in the original LP configuration.
Tracks #10-11 (CD 2), from the albums "Down Beat Jazz Concert, Vol. 1 & 2"
(Dot DLP-9003 / DLP-3188) recorded at Town Hall, New York City.
Collective personnel includes:
Paul Horn (flute, piccolo, clarinet, alto sax), Ed Leddy, Ken Bright, Stu Williamson (trumpets), Vince DeRosa, Dick Perissi (French horns), Red Callender (tuba), Larry Bunker (vibes), Gerry Wiggins (piano, celeste), David Frisina, Dan Lube (violins), David Sterkin (viola), Fred Katz (cello, piano), Calvin Jackson (piano), Ray Kramer (cello), John Pisano, Billy Bean (guitar), Red Mitchell, Hal Gaylor, Don Bagley, Don Payne (bass), Chico Hamilton, Mel Lewis, Shelly Manne, Osie Johnson, Gene Estes (drums), Bill Marx (bells), Mongo Santamaria (conga).
Recorded at Radio Recorders & ABC Studios, in Hollywood, 1957-1958 and at Town Hall, in New York City, 1958
See booklet for complete personnel details and dates
CD cover & inside photos by William Claxton
Original recordings produced by Tom Mack
This compilation produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol