This set is a veritable west coast flutist convention. A pastoral picnic with the Swinging Shepherds, led by Buddy Collettte's frolicsome flute and built on a beat definitely not bucolic. Buddy, along with Bud Shank, Paul Horn, and Harry Klee, introduced a new concept: warm, woodsy sounds from four flutes and rhythm. Before this experience, flute in jazz had generally been utilized in solo context.
The arrival of the Swinging Shepherds, with their unique arrangements for a quartet of flutes, blowing freely and off-the-chart modern jazz as the mood dictated, proved its not the instrument, after all, that determines eligibility; its the player. The interplay between them as they switch to the various instruments in the flute family is remarkable.
The first album was further enlivened by the presence of the Nelson Riddle rhythm section, with Bill Miller on piano, Joe Comfort on bass, and Bill Richmond on drums. On the second, Miller shares the piano spot with John T. Williams, Shelly Manne and Earl Palmer alternate on drums, Red Mitchell is the bassist, and Jim Hall is added on guitar.
Overall, Collette's Swinging Shepherds produced some beautiful sounds, as would be expected of such a gifted group of jazz musicians.
01. The Funky Shepherds (Bud Shank) 4:51
02. Tasty Dish (Buddy Collette) 4:19
03. Improvisation [Unaccompanied] (Rugolo-Shank-Horn-Klee-Collette) 2:10
04. The Four Winds Blow (Paul Horn) 3:35
05. Pony Tale (Paul Horn) 4:28
06. Machito (Pete Rugolo) 3:51
07. Short Story (Buddy Collette) 3:21
08. Flute Diet (Buddy Collette) 4:41
09. Improvisation [with conga] (Rugolo-Shank-Horn-Klee-Collette) 2:25
10. The Shrike (Pete Rugolo) 3:24
11. Laura (David Raskin) 2:38
12. Smile (Charles Chaplin) 3:06
13. Invitation (Bronislau Kaper) 3:52
14. I Cant Believe That You're in Love with Me (Gaskill-McHugh) 2:42
15. Intermezzo (Heinz Provost) 3:27
16. The Bad and the Beautiful (David Raskin) 4:10
17. Swinging on a Star (Burke-Van Heusen) 2:56
18. Ruby (Roemheld-Parrish) 3:21
19. The Trolley Song (Martin-Blane) 1:54
20. Colonel Bogey (K.J. Aldford) 3:29
Arrangements by Buddy Collette, Bud Shank, Paul Horn & Pete Rugolo
Original LP sources:
Tracks #1-9, from the album "Buddy Collette and His Swinging Shepherds"
(Mercury SR 80005)
Tracks #8-19, from the album "Buddy Collette and His Swinging Shepherds at the Cinema"
(Mercury SR 60132)
Personnel on tracks #1-9:
Buddy Collette, Bud Shank, Paul Horn (fl, a-fl, piccolo), Harry Klee (fl, a-fl, b-fl), Bill Miller (p), Joe Comfort (b) and Bill Richmond (d, conga on #9).
Recorded at Master Recorders, Hollywood, March 5 & 7, 1958
Personnel on tracks #10-20:
Buddy Collette, Bud Shank, Paul Horn (fl, a-fl, piccolo), Harry Klee (fl, a-fl, b-fl), Bill Miller (p), John T. Williams (p on #14-16), Jim Hall (g), Red Mitchell (b), Shelly Manne (d), Earl Palmer (d on #17-20).
Recorded at Master Recorders, Hollywood, January 10 (#10-13), January 17 (#14-16), February 21 (#17-20), 1959
Musical Director: David Carroll
Cover Photo: Garrett-Howard
Original recordings supervised by Pete Rugolo
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.