THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE U.S.
This CD is the product of five recording sessions that took place in late 1956 and early 1957, in which Buddy Collette, a seminal and original westcoaster, used five excellent rhythm sections. With his command of alto, tenor, clarinet and flute, he proved to be a musician of rare calibre, technically gifted, with flawless playing distinguished by fine tonal quality on each instrument.
Disciplined without being rigid, and full of imagination, he had a natural, flowing conception that never sounds contrived. And he was helped by having some of the best West Coast rhythm sections of the time on hand to make these recordings an ideal combination of gentleness and strength.
01. Makin' Whoopee (Donaldson-Kahn) 3:36
02. Jazz City Blues (Buddy Collette) 4:43
03. Sunset Drive (Buddy Collette) 3:20
04. Frenesi (Alberto Dominguez) 2:42
05. St. Andrew's Place (Buddy Collette) 3:42
06. Jungle Pipe (Buddy Collette) 4:02
07. Cheryl Anne (Buddy Collette) 4:35
08. Zan (Buddy Collette) 3:20
09. A Nice Day (Buddy Collette) 4:14
10. Over The Rainbow (Arlen-Harburg) 5:10
11. Buddy Boo (Buddy Collette) 4:30
12. There Will Never Be Another You (Warren-Gordon) 4:23
13. Moten Swing (Moten-Moten) 3:22
14. Fall Winds (Buddy Collette) 6:23
15. Blues For Howard (Buddy Collette) 3:59
16. You Better Go Now (Graham-Reichmer) 3:34
17. Tasty Dish (Buddy Collette) 5:41
18. I Still Love You (Buddy Collette) 3:26
19. Mrs. Potts (Eugene Wright) 3:20
Tracks #1-8 from "Man of Many Parts" (Contemporary C 3522)
Tracks #9-15 from "Nice Day with Buddy Collette" (Contemporary C 3531)
Tracks #16-19 from "Everybody's Buddy" (Challenge CHL-603)
Personnel on #1-4:
Buddy Collette (fl, as & ts), Gerald Wiggins (p), Eugene Wright (b), Bill Richmond (d).
Recorded at Contemporary Studios, Hollywood, February 24, 1956
Personnel on #5-8:
Buddy Collette (fl, cl, as & ts), Ernie Freeman (p), Barney Kessel (g), Joe Comfort (b), Larry Bunker (d).
Recorded at Contemporary Studios, Hollywood, April 17, 1956
Personnel on #9-10:
Buddy Collette (fl & cl), Don Friedman (p), John Goodman (b), Joe Peters (d).
Recorded at Contemporary Studios, Hollywood, November 6, 1956
Personnel on #11-15:
Buddy Collette (fl, cl, as & ts), Calvin Jackson (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Shelly Manne (d).
Recorded at Contemporary Studios, Hollywood, February 18, 1957
Personnel on #16-19:
Buddy Collette (fl, cl, as & ts), Gerald Wiggins (p), Howard Roberts (g), Eugene Wright (b), Bill Richmond (d).
Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, May 13, 1957
Recordings supervised Lester Koenig (Contemporary) or David Axelrod (Challenge)
This compilation produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Hi Fi · Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.
-Man of Many Parts
"This reissue of a Contemporary session shows off the many parts of multi-reedist Buddy Collette. Collette is showcased on tenor, alto, clarinet, and his strongest ax, flute [...] The cool jazz set (which sometimes uses advanced harmonies) also features among the sidemen trumpeter Gerald Wilson, guitarist Barney Kessel, and pianist Gerald Wiggins, ranking with Buddy Collette's best work of the 1950s."