THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE U.S.
Includes a 16-page booklet with accurate recording details, original liner-notes and rare photos.
The Chico Hamilton Quintetin the first of the two albums included reshapes eleven pieces of the popular Broadway show South Pacific into new patterns of sound and rhythm. Chico explained that they had kept the jazz sounds wherever we felt there should be jazz. The tunes were extremely difficult to arrange because the majority were both good and simple; one of the hardest things in music is to retain simplicity. The arrangements of Paul Horn, Hal Gaylor, John Pisano, Carson Smith and Calvin Jackson left us one of the happiest renditions of this show.
On the second album, the original Hamilton quintet, plus Paul Horn, reunited to play a fine collection of Ellington originals with the understanding and rare perspicacity only they could provide. The group operates entirely within a flexible framework, provided by Carson Smiths arrangements. The men are all highly capable, and the solo work is very good. Buddy Collette's tenor and Jim Halls lucid guitar are great assets to this set. Ellington's subject matter, combined with Hamilton's brilliant colors, produced a set that is as delightful as it is intriguing.
All the music you will find here is attractive and very much alive; you have two fabulous groups led by Hamilton to thank for it.
01. A Wonderful Guy (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 3:16
02. This Nearly Was Mine (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 3:48
03. Dites Moi (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 2:59
04. Some Enchanted Evening (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 3:15
05. Bali Hai (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 4:37
06. There Is Nothing Like a Dame (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 3:00
07. Younger Than Springtime (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 3:29
08. Happy Talk (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 2:55
09. A Cockeyed Optimist (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 1:51
10. Honey Bun (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 4:17
11. I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Out of My Hair (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 2:36
12. Take the 'A' Train (Ellington-Mills-Tizol) 3:35
13. Everything But You (Ellington-James-George) 4:30
14. Lucky So and So (Ellington-David) 4:51
15. Azure (Ellington-Mills) 3:30
16. I'm Beginning to See the Light (Ellington-James-Hodges-George) 4:00
17. In a Mellotone (Ellington) 3:36
18. Sittin' and Rockin' (Ellington-David) 3:20
19. In a Sentimental Mood (Ellington-Mills-Kurtz) 4:43
20. Day Dream (Ellington-Strayhorn-LaTouche) 3:53
21. It Don't Mean a Thing (Ellington-Mills) 4:18
Tracks #1-11, from "Chico Hamilton Plays South Pacific in Hi-Fi" (World Pacific ST-1003)
Tracks #12-21 from "The Chico Hamlton Quintet / Ellington Suite" (World Pacific ST-1016)
Personnel on "South Pacific":
Chico Hamilton (d), Fred Katz (cello, arr on #9), Paul Horn (as, fl, arr on #2,8), John Pisano (g, arr on #4,5), Hal Gaylor (b, arr on #1,10). Carson Smith (arr on #6 & 7), Calvin Jackson (arr on #3 & 11).
Recorded in Los Angeles, at Forum Theatre, January 15,24,29 & 30, 1958
Personnel on "Ellington Suite":
Chico Hamilton (d), Buddy Collette (cello), Paul Horn (as, fl), Jim Hall (g), Fred Katz (cello), Carson Smith (b). All arrangements by Carson Smith.
Recorded in Los Angeles, January 9 & 12, 1959
Original recordings produced by Dick Bock
This CD reissue produced by Jordi Pujol
Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.