These 1955 performances by the original Chico Hamilton Quintet were recorded live during their first and successful engagement at Harry Rubins Strollers, a nightclub in Long Beach, California. Listening to them, we can appreciate the high spirit of the group in its formative period, exploring and developing new sounds through the free interplay of its five talented members. The quintet soon acquired a local following, which grew rapidly when radio station KFOX through Sleepy Steins popular jazz programbegan a series of live broadcasts from the club. The gig at The Strollers was due to last for two weeks, but stretched into eight months, giving the Quintet a residency which allowed them to settle in and grow.
01. I Want To Be Happy (Youmans-Caesar) 2:18
02. Spectacular (Jim Hall) 5:19
03. Free Form (Improvisation) 5:06
04. Walking Carson Blues (Traditional) 6:16
05. Buddy Boo (Buddy Collette) 5:21
06. Caravan (Ellington-Tizol-Mills) 6:09
07. Tea For Two (Youmans-Caesar) 5:39
08. Fast Flute (Hamilton-Collette) 6:04
09. Change It (Buddy Collette) 2:42
10. Cute Little Deal (Jo Jones) 3:01
11. A Mood (Fred Katz) 3:58
12. This Is Your Day (Buddy Collette) 3:58
13. I'll Keep Loving You (Bud Powell) 2:20
14. Crazy Rhythm (Meyer-Kahn-Caesar) 4:17
15. Stella By Starlight (Young-Washington) 2:46
Chico Hamilton (drums), Buddy Collette (flute, clarinet, alto & tenor sax), Fred Katz (cello), Jim Hall (guitar), Carson Smith (drums).
Recorded live at The Strollers Club, Long Beach, California, 1955
Sound engineer: Phil Turetsky
Recordings originally produced by Dick Bock
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas, S.L.