Reference: FSRCD 424
Bar code: 8427328604246
Lucky Thompson (1924-2005) has probably been the most underrated tenorist of his generation. After an active period in both the New York and Los Angeles scenes during the Forties, his career began to suffer all kind of in and outs, and from 1949 up to 1954 Luckys name rarely appeared on jazz club marquees. Fortunately, since that year the unlucky Lucky Thompson would temporarily find what he was looking for. Lucky described the sessions at hand as the first I got the freedom and the men I desired.
Here he blows his heart out in one of the most sustained examples of creative, soulful improvisation ever recorded. It is a hard-swinging set powered by Luckys big tone and beautifully built ideas, featuring the strength and driving pulse of Oscar Pettifords bass.
01. Tom-Kattin (Lucky Thompson) 5:02
02. Old Reliable (Lucky Thompson) 4:02
03. A Ladys Vanity (Lucky Thompson) 5:11
04. Translation (Lucky Thompson) 4:02
05. Nr #1 (Lucky Thompson) 4:38
06. Nr #2 (Lucky Thompson) 3:09
07. Good Luck (Lucky Thompson) 4:35
08. Tricotism (Oscar Pettiford) 4:35
09. Bo-Bi My Boy (Lucky Thompson)3:55
10. Body and Soul (Green-Heyman-Sour-Eyton) 4:31
11. Op Meets Lt (Pettiford-Thompson) 3:52
12. Dancing Sunbeam (Lucky Thompson) 3:08
13. Little Tenderfoot (Lucky Thompson) 2:49
14. The Plain But The Simple Truth (Lucky Thompson) 4:45
15. Mister Man (Lucky Thompson) 3:32
16. Once There Was (Lucky Thompson) 4:03
Total time: 66:19 min.
Tracks #1-4 & 8-11, from the 12" album "Lucky Thompson, Vol. I" (ABC-111)
Tracks #5-7 & 12-16, from the 12" album "Lucky Thompson, Vol. II" (ABC-171)
LUCKY THOMPSON QUINTET
Lucky Thompson (ts), Jimmy Cleveland (tb, out in #3), Hank Jones (p), Oscar Pettiford (b), Osie Johnson (d).
Recorded on January 30, 1956 [#1-4]
Don Abney (p) replaces Hank Jones.
Recorded on December 12, 1956 [#5-7]
LUCKY THOMPSON TRIO
Lucky Thompson (ts), Skeeter Best (g), Oscar Pettiford (b).
Recorded on January 24, 1956 [#8-11], December 11, 1956 [#12-15]
Don Abney (p), replaces Skeeter Best.
Recorded on December 12, 1956 [#16]
Original sessions produced by Creed Taylor
Liner notes by Burt Korall & Nat Hentoff, reproduced from the original ABC albums
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!