Joe Newman (tp, vcl), Nick Travis, Conte Candoli, Joe Ferrante, Ernie Royal, Bernie Glow (tp), Urbie Green, Jimmy Cleveland, Chauncey Welsh, Fred Ohms, Benny Powell, Tommy Mitchell (tb), Sam Marowitz, Phil Woods (as), Al Cohn (ts, cl), Eddie Wasserman (ts), Al Epstein (bs), Nat Pierce, Hank Jones (p), Barry Galbraith, Freddie Green (g), Buddy Jones, Eddie Jones (b), Gus Johnson (d)
Reference: 74321 60986 2
Bar code: 743216098620
Joe Newman makes a keen tribute to his mentor, featuring a tart big band.
01. Basin Street Blues (Spencer Williams) 3:31
02. You Can Depend On Me (Hines-Carpenter-Dunlap) 2:53
03. Sweethearts On Parade (Lombardo-Newman) 2:14
04. Back O'Town Blues (Russel-Armstrong) 3:46
05. Pennies From Heaven (Johnson-Burke) 3:06
06. When It's Sleepy Time Down South (Rene-Rene-Muse) 3:00
07. Struttin' With Some Barbeque (Armstrong-Raye) 2:41
08. West End Blues (Oliver-Williams) 3:58
09. Chinatown, My Chinatown (Jerome-Swartz) 2:44
10. When The Saints Go Marching In (Traditional) 2:39
11. Dipper Mouth Blues (Oliver-Armstrong) 2:42
12. Jeepers Creepers (Mercer-Warren) 2:46
Total time: 36:17 min.
Originally released on RCA Victor LPM-1324
An RCA Victor "New Orthophonic" High fidelity Recording
Personnel on #1-4:
Joe Newman, Nick Travis, Conte Candoli, Joe Ferrante, Bernie Glow, trumpets; Urbie Green, Jimmy Cleveland, Chauncey Welsh, Tommy Mitchell, trombones; Sam Marowitz, Phil Woods, alto sax; Al Cohn, clarinet & tenor sax; Eddie Wasserman, tenor sax; Al Epstein, baritone sax, Nat Pierce, piano; Barry Galbraith, guitar; Buddy Jones, bass; Gus Johnson, drums.
Personnel on #5-8:
Joe Newman, Ernie Royal, Conte Candoli, Joe Ferrante, Bernie Glow, trumpets; Fred Ohms, Benny Powell, Jimmy Cleveland, Chauncey Welsh, trombones; Sam Marowitz, Phil Woods, alto sax; Al Cohn, clarinet & tenor sax; Eddie Wasserman, tenor sax; Al Epstein, baritone sax, Nat Pierce, piano; Freddie Green, guitar; Eddie Jones, bass; Gus Johnson, drums.
Personnel on #9-12:
Same as #5-8, but Nick Travis, trumpet; Urbie Green, Tommy Mitchell, trombones; Hank Jones, piano, replace Royal, Ohms, Powell and Pierce.
Recorded at Webster Hall, New York City, March 4 [#1-4], 11 [#5-8], and 14 [#9-12], 1956
Joe Newman, sings on #2,4,5,10 & 12
Arrangements by Manny Albam (#1,5,6,7,8,11), Ernie Wilkins (#2,3,4,9,12), and Al Cohn (#10)
Liner notes by John S. Wilson
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!