01. Broadway (McRae-Woode-Bird) 2:30
02. Surrey With The Fringe On Top (Rodgers-Hammerstein) 2:44
03. Falling In Love With Love (Rodgers-Hart) 3:08
04. The Continental (Conrad-Magidson) 2:22
05. Makin' Whoopee! (Kahn-Donaldson) 2:31
06. Stompin' At The Savoy (Sampson-Webb-Goodman) 3:05
07. You're Driving Me Crazy (Donaldson) 3:09
08. Baubles, Bangles and Beads (Wright-Forrest) 2:14
09. Somebody Loves Me (Gershwin-MacDonald-DeSylva) 2:30
10. All Of You (Cole Porter) 2:20
11. Gone With The Wind (Wrubel-Magidson) 2:35
12. It Don't Mean A Thing (Ellington-Mills) 1:52
13. Ernie's Blues (Ernie Wilkins) 3:31
14. Satin Doll (Ellington-Strayhorn-Mercer) 3:24
15. Fascinating Rhythm (G. & I. Gershwin) 1:57
16. Canadian Sunset (Eddy Heyward) 2:25
17. Very Much In Love (Ellis-Stillman) 2:25
18. Undecided (Robbin-Shavers) 2:40
19. Fresh Flute (Ernie Wilkins) 2:33
20. I'll Get By (Turh-Ahlert) 3:03
21. A Swinging Serenade (Ernie Wilkins) 3:03
22. Lover Man (Ramirez-Davis-Sherman) 3:30
23. Everything's Comming Up Roses (Sondheim-Styne) 1:57
24. Speak Low (Nash-Weill) 2:32
Tracks #1-12, from the Everest LP "Here Comes the Swingin' Mr. Wilkins" (SDBR 1077)
Tracks #13-24, from the Everest LP "The Big New Band Of The 60's" (SDBR 1104)
All arrangements by Ernie Wilkins
Tracks #8,9,11,12: Thad Jones (tp), Joe Newman (tp), Ernie Royal (tp), Snooky Young (tp), Paul Felice (tb), Al Grey (tb), Mickey Graume (tb), Jack Rains (tb), Marshall Royal (cl, as), Frank Wess (fl, as, ts), Benny Golson (ts), Zoot Sims (ts), Charlie Fowlkes (bs), Jimmy Jones (p), Eddie Costa (vib), Freddie Green (g), Eddie Jones (b), Charles Persip (d).
Recorded in New York, December 9, 1959
Tracks #1-7,10: Richard Williams (tp) and Paul Gonsalves (ts), replace Thad Jones and Benny Golson.
Recorded in New York, January 10, 1960
Tracks #13-24: Clark Terry (tp), Richard Williams (tp), Charlie Shavers (tp), Henderson Chambers (tb), Earl Warren (as), Zoot Sims (ts), Seldon Powell (ts), Yusef Lateef (fl,as,ts), Eddie Costa (vib), Walter Bishop (p), Kenny Burrell (g), Ron Carter (b), Charles Persip (d).
Recorded in New York, April 8 & 28, 1960
Original liner notes by Nat Hentoff
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
These recordings were originally produced and released by Everest Records on two stereo LPs. The world rights on these master tapes have been acquired by the producer of this CD, and both albums have now been compiled for the first time on this Fresh Sound Records release.
"Despite its title, the Ernie Wilkins Orchestra did not become "the big new band of the '60s" and this LP was its only recording. With such an all-star cast (including trumpeters Clark Terry and Charlie Shavers, tenors Zoot Sims and Yusef Lateef, vibraphonist Eddie Costa and guitarist Kenny Burrell) the big band would not have had much of a chance anyway in the 1960s. Wilkins' progressive but swinging arrangements for three of his originals and nine standards are enjoyable but the brevity of the tracks (the longest one is 3½-minutes) and the rather short solos is unfortunate."