Al Caiola, Don Arnone (g), Phil Bodner (cl, fl, as, ts), Art Van Damme (accordion), Eddie Costa (p, vib, bells), Dick Hyman (p), Phil Kraus (vib, percussion), George Duvivier, Frank Carroll (b), Bobby Rosengarden (d), Gloria Agostini (harp)
Reference: BMCD 876
Bar code: 8427328008761
· Collector's Edition
· Issued in Digipack
· 2 Original LPs on 1 CD
· Original Cover Art and Liner Notes
· Stereo Recordings
· Newly Remastered in 24-Bit
The name of Al Caiola has been part of that very select fraternity of studio musicians who were heard on most of New York’s top rated television and recording assignments from the 40s up to the 70s. There’s a distinctive style and approach in his playing which made for a “sound.” On these recordings, Caiola joined forces with Don Arnone, another top-class, revered and busy studio jazz and pop guitarist. Both men get the chance to swing on these albums featuring two dozen well-known standards and originals, which showcase how well their unique styles blend.
On the first, “Great Pickin’,” the sparkling ensemble works with bass and drums, while on some tracks the band includes Eddie Costa on piano, Phil Kraus on vibes, reedman Phil Bodner and Art Van Damme’s swinging accordion. On “Soft Guitars,” “Mr. Guitar” Al Caiola and “Mr. Y” Don Arnone are backed by Frank Carroll on bass and Gloria Agostini on harp.
These recordings capture the full, complete warmth of each instrument, bringing out all the highlights, all the nuances, all the subtle interplay that give their playing its special distinction.
01. Caravan (Ellington-Tizol) 3:10
02. Cosmopolitan (Al Caiola) 1:55
03. A Foggy Day (G. & I. Gershwin) 2:52
04. Like the Moon Above You (Rhumshinky-Tauber) 1:57
05. I Saw the Stars (Sigler-Goodheart-Hoffman) 3:00
06. Lover Come Back to Me (Romberg-Hammerstein) 2:40
07. On the Alamo (Jones-Kahn) 2:01
08. Birds of a Feather (Caiola-Ekstrand) 2:39
09. A Tree in the Park (Rodgers-Hart) 3:28
10. Blue Lou (Sampson-Mills) 2:05
11. Chinese Guitar (Don Arnone) 2:25
12. Stompin’ at the Savoy (Goodman-Sampson-Webb-Razaf) 3:33
13. They Can’t Take That Away from Me (G. & I. Gershwin) 2:53
14. I Can’t Get Started (Duke-Gershwin) 2:37
15. Try a Little Tenderness (Woods-Campbell-Connelly) 2:53
16. Where or When (Rodgers-Hart) 2:42
17. Skylark (Carmichael-Mercer) 2:46
18. Clair de Lune (Claude Debussy) 2:52
19. Imagination (Van Heusen-Burke) 2:39
20. More than You Know (Youmans-Rose-Eliscu) 3:12
21. Stella by Starlight (Young-Washington) 3:26
22. ‘S Nice (Al Caiola) 1:52
23. I Don’t Know Why (Ahlert-Turk) 2:25
24. Poinsettia (Don Arnone) 2:52
Tracks #1-12, from the album “Great Pickin’” (Chancellor CHLS 5008)
Tracks #13-24, from the album “Soft Guitars” (Time Records S/2052)
Al Caiola & Don Arnone, play guitars in all tracks.
Personnel on "Great Pickin'":
Accompanied by Phil Bodner (clarinet, flute, alto & tenor sax), Art Van Damme (accordion), Eddie Costa (piano, vibes, bells), Dick Hyman (piano), Phil Kraus (vibes, percussion), George Duvivier (bass), Bobby Rosengarden (drums). Vocal quartet (on #1,2,4,7,8 & 10).
Recorded in New York City, 1960
Personnel on "Soft Guitars":
Accompanied by Frank Carroll (bass), Gloria Agostini (harp).
Recorded in New York City, 1962
Original cover design: “Chic” Od Philadelphia (Chancellor), Murray Stein (Time)
Original recordings produced by Peter De Angelis (#1-12), and Bob Shad (#13-24)
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol