At last in one CD the complete and rare recordings made by the outstanding saxophonist Frank Socolow as a leader.
Frank Socolow was an excellent tenor saxophonist who unfortunately never rose beyond the rank of journeyman. His transitional style on the tenor was heard with many dance bands, which formed the bulk of his employment in the music business. Having worked the reed section for Boyd Raeburn, Buddy Rich, Chubby Jackson and Artie Shaw, Frank was highly acclaimed by his music colleagues yet, as often happens, his fame as a soloist escaped wider notice, which could be direct result of him being such a good section man. The three first tracks features legendary pianist Bud Powell.
01. Reverse the Charges (Frank Socolow) 2:54
02. The Man I Love (Davis-Sherman-Ramirez) 3:16
03. September in the Rain (Warren-Dubin) 2:46
04. Miss Finegold (Frank Socolow) 2:57
05. But Not for Me (G. & I. Gershwin) 3:07
06. Swing Low Sweet Socolow (Sal Salvador) 2:52
07. How About You (Freed-Lane) 3:51
08. My Heard Stood Still (Rodgers-Hart) 3:11
09. Little Joe (Frank Socolow) 4:11
10. Farfel (Frank Socolow) 3:30
11. I'll Take Romance (Cole Porter) 4:05
12. I Love You (Cole Porter) 4:12
13. I Cried for You (Arnheim-Lyman-Freed) 4:09
Tracks # 1-2, from the 78 rpm Duke 112
Track #3, from the 78 rpm Duke 115
Tracks #4-13, from the 12-inch album "Sounds by Socolow" (Bethlehem BCP-70)
FRANK SOCOLOW QUINTET [#1-3]
Frank Socolow (ts), Freddie Webster (tp), Bud Powell (p), Leonard Gaskin (b), Irv Kluger (d).
Recorded in New York City, May 2, 1945
FRANK SOCOLOW SEXTET [#4-13]
Frank Socolow (ts, as), Eddie Bert (tb), Eddie Costa (p), Sal Salvador (g), Bill Takus (b), Jimmy Campbell (d).
Arrangements by Manny Albam (#4,5,7 & 13), Sal Salvador (#6,10 & 12) and Bill Holman (#8,9 & 11).
Recorded in New York City, November 1956
Bethelehm original cover by Burt Goldblatt
Liner notes: Jordi Pujol
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Hi Fi · Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.