Although Terry Gibbs had been heard previously in a variety of moods, and mostly fronting his own quartet, he appeared here for the first time in a setting no less ideally suited for hima big, swinging band. In many ways it was the most exciting yet. Nothing but the best was good enough for Terry on an occasion like this, and the best meant New Yorks finest arranging talent as well as a troupe of sidemen capable of doing the utmost justice to the excellent scores, filled with overtones of Basie and Herman.
On the second half of this CD we Terry is in a more familiar context, leading a fine quartet on a tasteful session far more substantial than a simple blowing date. There is, first, the superb material Ellingtons timeless creationsand, secondly, the surprise of Jollys fluent accordion, sensitive accompaniment and flowing modern jazz conception. Thirdly, there is the rock-steady, funky rhythm team of Vinnegar and Frommer. Finally, there is Gibbs volatile, unceasingly driving vibes, xylophone and marimba.
01. Funky Serenade (Manny Albam) 2:48
02. Gubi (Al Cohn) 3:01
03. Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe (Harburg-Arlen) 3:17
04. Just Plain Meyer (Bob Brookmeyer) 2:44
05. Bewitched (Rodgers-Hart) 3:23
06. Let's Wail (Terry Gibbs) 2:51
07. Heads Or Tails (Bob Brookmeyer) 3:08
08. Slittin' Sam (Al Epstein) 2:49
09. I Didn't Know About You (Ellington-Russell) 3:38
10. Night Cap (Ernie Wilkins) 2:59
11. Julie's Bugle (Al Cohn) 2:20
12. Rockin' In Rhythm (Ellington-Mills) 2:40
13. Let A Song Go Out O My Heart (Ellington-Tizol-Mills) 3:03
14. Caravan (Ellington-Tizol-Mills) 4:12
15. Solitude (Ellington-DeLange-Mills) 3:32
16. Take The "A" Train (Billy Strayhorn) 3:03
17. Sophisticated Lady (Ellington-Parish-Mills) 3:14
18. Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me (Ellington-Russell) 3:47
19. Don't Get Around Much Anymore (Ellington-Russell) 3:53
20. Johnny Come Lately (Billy Strayhorn) 2:56
21. C-Jam Blues (Ellington-Roberts-Katz-Thiele) 4:58
22. Caravan (Ellington-Tizol-Mills) 3:30
23. Sophisticated Lady (Ellington-Parish-Mills) 2:53
24. Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me (Ellington-Russell) 2:59
Tracks #1-10, from the 12" album "Swingin' with Terry Gibbs & His Orchestra" (EmArcy MG36103)
Tracks #11-20, from the 12" album "Plays the Duke" (EmArcy MG36128)
Personnel on tracks #1-10:
Bernie Glow, Al Derisi, Ernie Royal, Nick Travis (tp), Don Elliott (tp, mellophone) Bob Brookmeyer (v-tb), Urbie Green, Tom Mitchell, Chauncey Welsh (tb), Sam Marowitz, Hal McKusick (as), Al Cohn, Frank Socolow (ts), Al Epstein (bs), Terry Gibbs (vib), Terry Pollard (p), Turk Van Lake (g), Herman Wright (b), Jerry Segal or Osie Johnson (d).
Recorded in New York City, October 1 (#5,6,11), 2 (#1,2,8,9), and 8 (#3,4,7,10), 1956.
Personnel on tracks #11-24:
Terry Gibbs (vib, marimba, xylophone), Pete Jolly (accordion), Leroy Vinnegar or Gary Peacock (b), Gary Frommer (d).
Los Angeles, December 4, 1957 (#11-21)
Los Angeles ABC-TV show Stars of Jazz, February 17, 1958 (#22-24)
This CD compilation produced by Jordi Pujol
Hi Fi · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.