Reference: FSRCD 911_2
Bar code: 8427328609111
For over two decades, the Hi-Hat Club occupied a choice location among the jazz clubs of Boston’s South End district, at the corner of Columbus and Massachusetts Avenue. After the end of World War II, lesser luminaries took over the band-stand, and after a while entertainment practically stopped altogether.
Dave Coleman, a jazz promoter, had taken over management of the club in 1949. Through Coleman’s personal initiative, the Hi-Hat enjoyed its most successful years, and by 1951 it was the only club featuring a consistent policy of presenting modern jazz.
Between 1953 and 1954 Charlie Parker made several visits to Boston, where he was often hired to play as a “single” at the Hi-Hat, backed by local musicians. The performances contained in these two albums come from radio broadcasts emceed by famed disc-jockey “Symphony Sid” (Sid Torin), duplicating here his New York role from the control booth inside the Hi-Hat for his nightly radio show on WCOP.
01. Opening announcements by SST and Bird 0:40
02. Cool Blues (Parker) 5:38
03. Scrapple from the Apple (Parker) 7:11
04. SST introduces the members of the band 0:57
05. Laura (Raksin) 6:34
06. SST talks to Bird introduces the next tune 0:53
07. Cheryl (Parker) 5:43
08. Ornithology (Parker-Harris) 6:24
09. 52nd Street (Monk) and closing announcements 1:29
10. SST introduces Bird 0:09
11. Ornithology (Parker-Harris) 7:44
12. SST and Bird introduce the next number 0:30
13. My Little Suede Shoes (Parker) 7:09
14. Bird introduces the next tune 0:28
15. Now’s the Time (Parker) 6:57
16. Groovin’ High (Parker-Gillespie) 6:02
01. Cool Blues (Parker) 6:48
02. Out of Nowhere (Green-Heyman) 5:42
03. My Funny Valentine (Rodgers-Hart) 6:32
04. Ornithology (Parker-Harris) 4:56
05. Cool Blues (Parker) 6:09
06. My Little Suede Shoes (Parker) incomplete 6:01
07. Bird talks to SST 1:01
08. Ornithology (Parker-Harris) 7:35
09. SST introduces the Hi-Hat All Stars and talks to Bird 1:23
10. Out of Nowhere (Green-Heyman) 4:22
11. Jumpin’ with Symphony Sid (Young) and closing announcements by SST 2:34
12. Now’s the Time (Parker) 9:13
13. SST and Bird introduce the Hi-Hat All Stars 0:50
14. Out of Nowhere (Green-Heyman) 5:48
15. My Little Suede Shoes (Parker) 5:01
16. Jumpin’ with Symphony Sid (Young) and closing announcements by SST 1:07
All tracks previously released on Fresh Sound Records as FSCD-1006 and FSCD-1007 (currently out of print)
Personnel on CD 1
Tracks #1-9: Charlie Parker, alto sax; Herb Pomeroy, trumpet; Dean Earle, piano; Bernie Griggs, bass; Bill Graham, drums.
Recorded Sunday, June 14, 1953
Tracks #10-16: Charlie Parker, alto sax; Herbie Williams, trumpet; Rollins Griffith, piano; Jimmy Woode, bass; Marquis Foster, drums.
Probably recorded on January 1954
Personnel on CD 2
Tracks #1-4: Charlie Parker, alto sax; Herb Pomeroy, trumpet; with probably Dean Earle, piano; Bernie Griggs, bass; Bill Graham, drums.
Probably recorded on June 1953
Tracks #5-11: Charlie Parker, alto sax; Herbie Williams, trumpet; Rollins Griffith, piano; Jimmy Woode, bass; Marquis Foster, drums.
Exact date unknown, but recorded between January 18-24, 1954
Tracks #12-16: Charlie Parker, alto sax; Herbie Williams, trumpet; Jay Migliori, tenor sax; Rollins Griffith, piano; Jimmy Woode, bass; George Solano, drums.
Recorded Saturday, January 23, 1954
Cover photos © FSR Archives
Liner notes by Jordi Pujol
Compiled and produced for release by Jordi Pujol
Hi Fi · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Note: The remastering of these recordings has vastly improved their sound quality, when compared to their first CD release in 1991.
Dedicated to the memory of Jay Migliori (1930-2001), who provided some of these recordings.
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!