Spanning over five decades (1923-1974), the Duke Ellington orchestra was nursery, proving ground and finishing school for dozens of jazzmen. Three of the greatest, Harry Carney, Mitchell Booty Wood, and Paul Gonsalves, here front all-star groups on three albums produced by celebrated jazz critic Stanley Dance. They add up to an engaging example of the unpretentious kind of jazz these musicians liked to play when they were stretching out: adventurous but not avant-garde, traditional but not old-fashioned, free-ranging in its moods and full of that sound of surprise which is the lifeblood of jazz the kind of timeless music, beyond fad and fashion, forever associated with the Great Ellingtonians.
Total time: 122:45 min.
01. Tree Of Hope (Kenny Graham) 4:57
02. Blues For Blokes (Kenny Graham) 3:43
03. Baby Blue (Stan Tracey) 4:18
04. Jeepeers Creepers (Harry Warren) 3:49
05. Rock Me Gently (Kenny Graham) 4:04
06. Hand Me Down Love (Ellington-Sigman) 5:13
07. Mabulala 3 Kenny Graham) 3:29
08. Five O'Clock Drag (Duke Ellington) 3:58
09. Hang In There (Harold Baker) 5:48
10. New Cambridge Blues (Harold Baker) 7:11
11. Easin' On Down Piccadilly (Harold Baker) 4:03
12. Ohso (Aaron Bell) 4:48
01. Snowstorm (Mitchell 'Booty' Wood) 4:20
02. Blues In Bones (Mitchell 'Booty' Wood) 4:32
03. Sunday (Kenny Graham) 3:50
04. Our Delight (Tadd Dameron) 5:06
05. Out Nowhere (Johnny Green) 4:09
06. Swallowing The Blues (Kenny Graham) 8:25
07. London Broil (Paul Gonsalves) 5:32
08. Midnight Sun (Quincy Jones) 4:46
09. Squeeze Me (Clarence Williams) 6:18
10. Blue Skies (Irving Berlin) 5:51
11. Jeeps Blues (Duke Ellington) 5:29
12. You Can Depend On Me (Carpenter-Hines) 8:25
Sources CD 1:
Tracks #1-8, from the album "Harry Carney - The Duke's Men" (Metronome MLP 15066)
Tracks #9-12, from the album "The Booty Wood All Stars - Hang in There" (Master Jazz Recordings MJR 8102)
Sources CD 2:
Tracks #1-4, from Booty Wood's MJR 8102
Tracks #5-12, from the album "Paul Gonsalves & Harold Ashby - Tenor Stuff" (Metronome MLP 15073)
Personnel on "The Duke's Men":
Willie Cook, Ed Mullens, Ray Nance (trumpets), Mitchell 'Booty' Wood (trombone), Paul Gonsalves (tenor sax), Harry Carney (baritone sax), Rollins Griffith (piano), Aaron Bell (bass), Sam Woodyard (drums). Andrew 'Fats' Ford, replaces Ed Mullens on #2,3,6 & 8.
Recorded in New York, September 16 & 17, 1960
Personnel on "Hang in There":
Harold 'Shorty' Baker (trumpet), Mitchell 'Booty' Wood (trombone), Johnny Hodges (alto sax), Paul Gonsalves (tenor sax), Roger 'Ram' Ramírez (piano), Aaron Bell (bass), Oliver Jackson (drums). Dickie Wells & Vic Dickenson added on CD 2 #1-4.
Recorded in New York, December 13, 1960
Personnel on "Tenor Stuff":
Paul Gonsalves (tenor sax, guitar on #6,7,9), Harold Ashby (tenor sax), Sir Charles Thompson (piano), Aaron Bell (bass), Jo Jones (drums). Ray Nance (trumpet, violin & vocal #12), added on #9-12.
Recorded in New York, January 5, 1961
Original recordings produced by Stanley Dance
This compilation produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo · Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.