60th Anniversary of João Gilberto's historic Buenos aires performances with Os Cariocas
Extraordinary unreleased performance from October 1962 thatincludes three songs never heard before in the voice of João, and unreleased vocal arrangements with Os Cariocas. A historical document of bossa nova, with João Gilberto at the height of his powers.
Total time: 44:42 min.
01. Introduction by Carlos Rodari 2:07
02. Nova Ilusão (Luiz Bettancourt–José Meneses) 0:38
03. Só danço samba (Jobim–De Moraes) 1:54
04. Nunca mais (Ed Lincoln–Silvio Cesar) 2:07
05. Zelão (Sergio Ricardo) 3:28
06. Você passou (Nazareno de Brito–Alcyr Pires Vermelho) 2:49
07. Samba de uma nota só (Jobim–Mendonça) 1:11
08. Introduction to bossa nova 1:16
09. Tudo é bossa (Miguel Gustavo–Alcyr Pires Vermelho) 2:31
10. C.R. Presents the songs that João will perform 0:18
11. Só danço samba (Jobim–De Moraes) 2:02
12. Meditaçao (Jobim–Mendonça) 1:57
13. Doralice (Dorival Caymmi) 1:30
14. O amor em paz (Jobim–De Moraes) 1:38
15. Samba da minha terra (Dorival Caymmi) 1:59
16. Corcovado (Antonio Carlos Jobim) 1:23
17. Nunca mais (Ed Lincoln–Silvio Cesar) 3:10
18. Quero ser assim (Unknown) 4:04
19. Atirei o pau no gato (Traditional) 2:22
20. Um abraço no Bonfá (João Gilberto) 1:37
21. Medley: 3:47
-Garota de Ipanema (Jobim–De Moraes)
-Devagar com a louça (Luiz Reis–Haroldo Barbosa)
22. Final Medley: 0:44
-Só danço samba (Jobim–De Moraes)
-Se todos fossem iguais a você (Jobim–De Moraes)
JOÃO GILBERTO with OS CARIOCAS
Live at “Club 676”, Calle Tucumán 676, Buenos Aires, Wednesday, October 10, 1962
On #12, 13, 15, 19, 20: João Gilberto, vocals and guitar
On #11, 14, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22: João Gilberto with Os Cariocas
On #2-9: Os Cariocas: Severino Filho (1st voice, falsetto, piano and arranger),
Badeco (2nd voice and 6 string guitar), Quartera (4th voice and percussion),
Luiz Roberto (soloist voice and double bass).
Originally recorded by Pablo Rossi (Excelsior Buenos Aires’ radio operator)
Cover photo by Jorge Aguirre
Liner notes by Carlos Marcelo Lesgart
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
This sound recording © 2022 by Ubatuqui
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas, S.L.
Special thanks to journalist Julio Lagos, Víctor Oliveros, and Jose A. Fernández Quintela
NOTE TO LISTENER
This performance was recorded live on mono 7 ½ Ampex reel-to-reel tape, using a battery powered portable Grundig TK-1. The tape, despite having remained unplayed for almost 60 years, had conservation deficiencies inherent to its age. For its release, the original sound has been restored employing the most advanced techniques and carefully 24-bit digitally mastered, in order to obtain the highest possible quality and fidelity, to provide the greatest pleasure to the listener.
"If your only association with Brazilian music is Stan Getz’s classic albums, this collection of previously unreleased music by charter member Joao Gilberto will come as a revelation. The recording (with adequate to good sound quality) has Gilberto in an intimate club settingat the Club 676 back in October 10, 1962. The fascinating aspect of this album is that is shows the various ways that samba and bossa nova were presented at the time; it wasn’t just one dimensional at all.
Especially with the vocals. There is a collection nof songs that we are all familiar with, suc as “So Danco Samba” and “Samba De Uma Nota So” that are presented with Gilberto backed up by the bel canto vocal team of Filho, Badeco, Quaretera and Luiz Roberto delivering fervent readings. The vocal team then drops out for intimate moments with Gilberto and guitar on “Dolaice”, “Meditacao”, “Corcovado” and rarer pieces such as “Quero Ser Assim” before delving into “Ipanema”. There’s something hauntingly innocent about the whole event, with nary a hint of North American polish or influence. A trip back in time to another world."
George W. Harris (March 23, 2023)