Reference: FSRCD 957
Bar code: 8427328609579
The men behind the acronym H.U.M. (which uses one letter from each musician’s name) were drummer Daniel Humair, pianist René Urtreger and bassist Pierre Michelot. And they were a trio in the true sense of the word, as its members melted together musically to form a separate entity—by habit of playing together, but more so by the affinity of their tastes, ideas and style.
These performances were recorded live at Club Saint-Germain in September 1960, and they show René Urtreger blazing furiously with inspired conception, swinging deeply and shaping lucid and provocative jazz statements. Of course, he had the superb support of probably the best one-two rhythmic punch available in European jazz, at the time—Michelot, who also solos effectively, and Humair, who does as well in the more open passages. They are the anchor to these sides, and keep the fire alight until the last bar.
The label Vega released an LP with these performances, but in addition to the original album, this CD includes two radio broadcasts previously unreleased. These recordings are a reminder of the wonderful soirees of late summer and early autumn that these three artists shared. At engagement after engagement, the trio that formed H, U and M, met to find perfect harmony. This record is a lasting memento of their joy.
01. Just One of Those Things (Cole Porter) 6:00
02. Bye Bye Blackbird (Dixon-Henderson) 7:20
03. Ah Moore (Al Cohn) 5:28
04. Monsieur de … (René Urtreger) 4:26
05. Well You Needn’t (Thelonious Monk) 7:58
06. Laura (Raksin-Mercer) 7:02
07. Airegin (Sonny Rollins) 3:04
08. C.T.A. (Jimmy Heath) 4:15
09. A Night in Tunisia (Dizzy Gillespie) 0:15 *
10. Donna (Jackie McLean) 3:24
11. Sid's Delight (Tadd Dameron) 2:57
12. Laura (Raksin-Mercer) 3:06
13. Monsieur de … (René Urtreger) 3:32
14. Just One of Those Things (Cole Porter) 3:50
15. Well You Needn’t (Thelonious Monk) 4:12
16. Bye Bye Blackbird (Dixon-Henderson) 4:10
(*) A Night in Tunisia is used as a very brief closing theme at the end of the set; only a few measures are played lasting fifteen seconds.
Tracks #1-9, from the 12" album "HUM!" (Vega V30S837)
Tracks #10-16, from Radio Broadcasts
Personnel in all tracks: H.U.M.
René Urtreger, piano; Pierre Michelot, bass; Daniel Humair, drums.
Recorded live at Club Saint-Germain, Paris, September 5-8, 1960 [#1-9]
Recorded at RTF studio, Paris, November, 1960 [#10-13]
Recorded from the RTF broadcast “Jazz Memories” in February, 1961 [#14-16]
Original recordings (#1-9) supervised by Raymond Mouly
Sound Engineer: Jean-Michel Pou-Dubois
Booklet liner notes: Jordi Pujol / Raymond Mouly
"Jazz Memories" produced by Jean-Christophe Averty
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo / Mono · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!