THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR SALE IN THE U.S.
The two albums included here, New Groove, and Barefoot Adventure, present Bud Shank not only on alto sax, but also on baritone, an instrument he had played in clubs and as a sideman in sporadic studio sessions since the early 50s, but never before on his own recording dates. And while his alto has his customary command and fluency, his work on the less familiar baritone is equally impressive, the sound hard and driving, with expressive use of dynamics.
In these 1961 recordings, he fronts two similar groups, with a fresh approach, more groove-based and soulful, compared to previous works. With that in mind, he hired the young and talented trumpeter Carmell Jones, just arrived to the L.A. scene from Kansas City, whose warmth and enthusiasm on both sides are contagious. On Barefoot, the presence of Bob Cooper is felt throughout, with his tenor solos consistently fluent and swinging.
In the rhythm, Dennis Budimir on guitar handles most of the comping chores in his puckish prodding way; Gary Peacock shows he was developing into a reliable rhythm mate; and Mel Lewis in the first date and Shelly Manne in the second, play with their celebrated taste, imagination, and musicianship.
01. New Groove (Bud Shank) 6:44
02. The Awakening (Bud Shank) 4:24
03. White Lightnin' (Bud Shank) 5:20
04. Sultry Serenade (Duke Ellington) 7:12
05. Well, You Needen't (Thelonious Monk) 6:57
06. Liddledabllduya (Gary Peacock) 3:55
07. Barefoot Adventure (Bud Shank) 4:12
08. Shoeless Beach Meeting (Bud Shank) 4:05
09. Jungle Cruise (Bud Shank) 4:44
10. How High the Makaha (Bud Shank) 3:11
11. Well, 'Pon My Soul (Bud Shank) 4:14
12. Ala Moana (Bud Shank) 2:15
13. Bruce Is Loose (Bud Shank) 3:23
14. Dance of the Sea Monsters (Bud Shank) 4:07
Tracks #1-6, from the Pacific album "New Groove" (Stereo-21)
Tracks #7-14, from the Pacific album "Barefoot Adventure" (PJ-35)
Personnel on "New Groove":
Carmell Jones (trumpet), Bud Shank (alto & baritone sax), Dennis Budimir (guitar), Gary Peacock (bass), Mel Lewis (drums).
Recorded at Rex Productions, Los Angeles, February 22, 1961
Personnel on "Barefoot Adventure":
Same but Bob Cooper (tenor sax), added, Shelly Manne (drums) replaces Mel Lewis.
Recorded at Rex Productions, Los Angeles, September 8, 1961
Original cover design & photos: Woody Woodward
Liner notes by Kenneth Hume & Bruce A. Brown
Original recordings produced by Dick Bock
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.