Frank Socolow (ts), Freddie Webster (tp), Bud Powell (p), Leonard Gaskin (b), Irv Kluger (d) // Frank Socolow (ts,as), Eddie Bert (tb), Eddie Costa (p), Sal Salvador (g), Bill Takus (b), Jimmy Campbell (d).
Reference: FSRCD 387
At last in one CD the complete and rare recordings made by the outstanding saxophonist Frank Socolow as a leader.
Frank Socolow was an excellent tenor saxophonist who unfortunately never rose beyond the rank of journeyman. His transitional style on the tenor was heard with many dance bands, which formed the bulk of his employment in the music business. Having worked the reed section for Boyd Raeburn, Buddy Rich, Chubby Jackson and Artie Shaw, Frank was highly acclaimed by his music colleagues yet, as often happens, his fame as a soloist escaped wider notice, which could be direct result of him being such a good section man. The three first tracks features legendary pianist Bud Powell.
1. Reverse the Charges (F.Socolow) 2:54
2. The Man I Love (Davis-Sherman-Ramirez) 3:16
3. September in the Rain (Warren-Dubin) 2:46
4. Miss Finegold (F.Socolow) 2:57
5. But Not for Me (G.& I.Gershwin) 3:07
6. Swing Low Sweet Socolow (S.Salvador) 2:52
7. How About You (Freed-Lane) 3:51
8. My Heard stood Still (Rodgers-Hart) 3:11
9. Little Joe (F.Socolow) 4:11
10. Farfel (F.Socolow) 3:30
11. Ill Take Romance (C.Porter) 4:05
12. I Love You (C.Porter) 4:12
13. I Cried for You (Arnheim-Lyman-Freed) 4:09
Tracks 1-3: Frank Socolow Quintet: Frank Socolow (ts), Freddie Webster (tp), Bud Powell (p), Leonard Gaskin (b), Irv Kluger (d).
Recorded in New York City, May 2, 1945.
Tracks 4-13: Frank Socolow Sextet: Frank Socolow (ts,as), Eddie Bert (tb), Sal Salvador (g), Eddie Costa (p), Bill Takus (b), Jimmy Campbell (d).
Recorded in New York City, November 1956.