Piano Español - The Magic Touch of Lalo Schifrin, his Piano & Orchestra
Lalo Schifrin (p, arr & cond), others unknown.
Those who have followed the artistic and recording career of Lalo Schifrin since his arrival to the United States will be more familiar with his jazz, bossa and movie soundtrack records, but may not be aware of his first Latin recordings. Unavailable for many years, 'Piano Español' helps us to discover another facet of this remarkable musician.
'Piano español' is piano by Lalo Schifrin with the colorful rhythms of Latin America and Spain. 'Piano Español' treats us to a listening panorama of the multi-talents of Lalo Schifrin. He wrote all the arrangements and it is this writing, along with his piano interpretations that set this recording apart.
Lalo is devilishly clever. He gives us an ample smattering of Latin Jazz through the use of four trumpets, five saxes, oboe and bongo drums as his piano cuts through "Frenesí", "My Shawl" and "El Cumbanchero." In the latter, Lalo displays his command of jazz piano and the unusual speed of his hands along the keyboard [...]
Excerpt taken from the original liner notes.
01. Frenesí (Alberto Dominguez) 3:19
02. The Breeze and I (Andalucia) (E.Lecuona) 2:46)
03. Capricho Español (Enrique Granados) 3:19
04. My Shawl (Cugat-Berrios) 2:43
05. Caravan (Tizol-Ellington) 3:10
06. Malagueña (Ernesto Lecuona) 2:09
07. Cha Cha Cha Flamenco (Mario de Jesús) 2:51
08. Warsaw Concerto (Addinsell) 1:59
09. Hulablues (Seijo-Schifrin) 3:07
10. Jungle Fantasy (Ismael Morales) 2:30
11. All the Things You Are (Kern-Hammerstein) 3:13
12. Cumbanchero (Rafael Hernández) 2:34
Total time: 31:40 min.
Orchestra arranged & conducted by Lalo Schifrin.
Originally issued as a Tico LP-1070
Lalo Schifrin (piano, arr. & cond.), with 4 trumpets, 5 saxes, bass clarinet, oboe, bongo, harp and strings.
Recorded in New York, 1959.
Original recordings produced by Ralph Seijo.
This CD reissue produced by Jordi Pujol
24-Bit Digitally Remastered