Reference: FSRCD 2260
Bar code: 8427328622608
The Buddy De Franco-Tommy Gumina Quartet made a sensational debut at Hollywoods Pick-a-Rib night club in March 1960, playing assertive, driving modern jazz. In this new setting, Buddys fleet, fluid clarinet gained an exciting, fresh context with jazz accordion virtuoso Tommy Gumina.
Besides the mutually enhanced over-all sound of clarinet and accordion, the appealing arrangements De Franco and Gumina devised reveal a shared outlook. It firmly placed the emphasis on melody and rhythm, lyricism and stimulation, as much as on their dazzling technical accomplishments.
The quartets first two albums, Pacific Standard (Swingin!) Time, and Presenting... reflect this. Not only is De Franco warmed by Guminas strongly swinging attack, but both he and Gumina are also pushed hard by the sturdy rhythm support of bassists Bob Stone and Bill Plummer, and drummers Frank De Vito and John Guerin. Together they delivered straightforward, thoughtfully conceived and beautifully played unpre- tentious small-group jazz, with a character all its own.
01. All the Things You Are (Kern-Hammerstein II) 3:01
02. Ill Wind (Youre Blowin Me No Good) (Arlen-Koehler) 2:53
03. A Foggy Day (G. & I. Gershwin) 2:37
04. Satin Doll (Duke Ellington) 3:20
05. Darn That Dream (Van Heusen-DeLange) 4:16
06. How High the Moon (Lewis-Hamilton) 3:29
07. The Song Is You (Kern-Hammerstein II) 4:10
08. Misty (Erroll Garner) 3:13
09. In a Mellow Tone (Duke Ellington) 3:02
10. Polka Dots and Moonbeams (Burke-Van Heusen) 2:32
11. Autumn in Rome (Cahn-Weston-Cicognini) 2:14
12. Yesterdays (Kern-Harbach) 3:47
13. When Lights Are Low (Carter-Williams) 4:05
14. Street of Dreams (Lewis-Young) 3:58
15. Runaway (Tommy Gumina) 2:49
16. Never on Friday (Tommy Gumina) 2:42
17. Gone with the Wind (Wrubel-Magidson) 4:37
18. 'S Wonderful (G. & I. Gershwin) 1:50
19. On Green Dolphin Street (Kaper-Washington) 3:23
20. Scrapple from the Apple (Charlie Parker) 4:45
21. Playin It Cool (Buddy DeFranco) 3:19
22. You Are Too Beautiful (Rodgers-Hart) 3:47
Tracks #1-12, from the 12" album
"Pacific Standard (Swingin'!) Time" (Decca DL74031)
Tracks #13-22, from the 12" album
"Presenting The Buddy De Franco-Tommy Gumina" (Mercury SR60685)
Personnel on tracks #1-12:
Buddy De Franco (clarinet), Tommy Gumina (accordion), Bob Stone (bass), and Frank De Vito (drums).
Recorded at Decca Recording Studio, Hollywood, March 15, 16 & 31, 1960
Personnel on tracks #13-22:
Buddy De Franco (clarinet), Tommy Gumina (accordion), Bill Plummer (bass), and John Guerin (drums).
Recorded at Universal Recording Studios, Chicago, October 17 & 18, 1961
Original recordings supervised by Leonard Feather (#1-12) and Jack Tracy (#13-22)
Original back liner notes by Leonard Feather
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
"For a period in the early '60s, clarinetist Buddy DeFranco teamed up on a regular basis with Tommy Gumina, one of the few jazz accordionists. With bassist Bill Plummer and drummer John Guerin completing the quartet, DeFranco and Gumina indulge in some fine playing on their first of four LPs together for Mercury; none of the sets have reappeared on CD. The ten numbers (seven standards and three originals) are all concise, under five minutes in length; the sound of Gumina's accordion is an acquired taste, but he keeps the proceedings swinging and proves to be a fine match for DeFranco's fluid clarinet."
Scott Yanow -All Music Guide
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!