The clarity and freshness of ideas that Junior Mance projects on his instrument are refreshing in a jazz field cluttered with experimentalists and fumblers. Junior has the unusual ability to exude tremendous emotional qualities in his playing whilst still retaining the necessary and fundamental swinging condiments inherent in jazz. I truthfully believe that Junior Mance is a new direction as far as modern jazz pianists are concerned. His ideas have the continuity and diversification that lend a story-telling quality to his playing. I am sure that on listening to JUNIOR you will enjoy everything that he has to say, and believe me, this young man has a bountiful amount yet unsaid.
—Oscar Peterson (1959)
Total time: 50:39 min.
01. A Smooth One (Goodman-Royal) 3:24
02. Miss Jackie's Delight (Eugene Wright) 3:51
03. Whisper Not (Benny Golson) 4:18
04. Love for Sale (Cole Porter) 4:22
05. Lilacs in the Rain (DeRose-Parish) 3:37
06. Small Fry (Carmichael-Loesser) 4:06
07. Jubilation (Julian Clifford Mance) 3:28
08. Birk's Works (Dizzy Gillespie) 5:42
09. Blues for Beverlee (Julian Clifford Mance) 7:49
10. Junior's Tune (Julian Clifford Mance) 3:32
11. Hot Springs (Julian Clifford Mance) 2:35 *
12. 111 East Ontario (Julian Clifford Mance) 2:59 *
(*) Bonus Tracks
Tracks #1-10, from the 12-inch album "Junior" (Verve MG VS-8319)
Tracks #11-12, from his early Mercury recording session
Personnel on #1-10:
Junior Mance (piano), Ray Brown (bass), Lex Humphries (drums).
Recorded in New York City, April 9, 1959
Personnel on bonus tracks #11-12:
Junior Mance (piano), Israel Crosby (bass), Buddy Smith (drums).
Recorded at Fine recording Studios, New York City, March 1954
Original art: Sheldon Marks
Photography: Burt Goldblatt
Liner notes: Barbara Gardner / Nat Hentoff
Recordings produced by Norman Granz [1-10]
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo / Mono · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.