Ron Crotty Trio, Guaraldi Quartet, Jerry Dodgion Quartet, Charlie Marioano Sextet
Bar code: 090204970919
4**** By All Music Jazz.
1. Calling Dr. Funk Vince Guaraldi 6:55
2. Between 8th and 10th on Mission Street Vince Guaraldi 8:44
3. Ginza Ron Crotty 4:08
4. The Night We Called It a Day Ron Crotty 3:45
5. (I'm Afraid) the Masquerade Is Over Ron Crotty 6:30
6. Miss Jackie's Dish Jerry Dodgion 9:08
7. The Groove Jerry Dodgion 5:45
8. Come Rain or Come Shine Charlie Mariano 4:14
9. My Friend Ethel Charlie Mariano 3:31
10. After Coffee Charlie Mariano 3:50
11. Trouble Is a Man Charlie Mariano 2:43
12. Let's Get Away from It All Charlie Mariano 2:44
13. The Thrill Is Gone Charlie Mariano 2:33
14. The Nymph Charlie Mariano 3:50
"This CD consists of the music formerly included on the albums Modern Music From San Francisco and Charlie Mariano Sextet. The former LP features three overlapping groups of musicians who were mostly based in San Francisco in the mid-'50s, with pianist Sonny Clark being a ringer. The Vince Guaraldi Quartet, the Ron Crotty Trio, and Jerry Dodgion's Quartet all show that the "modern" music played in San Francisco at the time was not much different than its better-known L.A. counterpart. The music swings, has smooth and light timekeeping from the rhythm section, and Dodgion's tone on alto is not that far from Bud Shank's at the time. The Charlie Mariano sextet's date was recorded at San Francisco's Blackhawk and teams together players who were mostly from Boston or San Francisco, including altoist Mariano, trumpeter Dick Collins, trombonist Sonny Truitt, and pianist Richard Wyands. Two Truitt originals, a song apiece from Vince Guaraldi and Alec Wilder, plus three standards all serve as fine vehicles for concise solos, tight ensembles, and relaxed playing."
- By Scott Yanow (All Music Jazz).