Reference: DRCD 11271
An unusual Porgy and Bess, with superb arrangements of the Gershwins music and great interpretations of the all stars performers.
This modernized and memorable jazz version of the legendary American Folk opera was recorded in New York and Los Angeles in 1956. Also contains as bonus tracks the original version of a not very well known work by the great musician Mel Tormé --the California Suite, a type of ambitious
mixture for orchestra and voice evoking the sounds of Broadway, vaudeville, and opera.
This composition, described by his author as a lyrical and musical narrative dedicated to the Golden State by Tormé, is performed by Tormé himself with Peggy Lee, the Mel-Tones and orchestra conducted by Hal Mooney.
An unbelievable assortment of jazz musicians -- some of the greatest of the day, including: Mel Tormé, Frances Faye, Johnny Hartman, Duke Ellington
and His Famous Orchestra, Betty Roché, Bob Dorough, Frank Rosolino, Joe Derise, Pat Moran Quartet, The Australian Jazz Quintet, The Stan Levy Group, Don Fagerquist Group, Russ Garcia Orchestra . . .
and other collective personnel such as: Maynard Ferguson, Cat Anderson, Ray Linn, Frank Beach, Buddy Childers, Clark Terry, Willie Cook, Ray Nance, Howard McGhee, Herbie Harper, Frank Rosolino, Bob Enevoldsen, Quentin Jackson, Britt Woodman, Herbie Mann, Sam Most, Bill Holman, Johnny Hodges, Russell Procope, Paul Gonsalves, Jimmy Hamilton, Harry Carney, Vince DeRosa, Claude Williamson, Duke Ellington, Ralph Sharon, Sal Salvador, Max Bennett, Jimmy Wood, Stan Levey, Nick Stabulas, Sam Woodyard, Alvin Stoller, Al Jazzbo Collins . . .
1. Introduction / Summertime
3. A Woman is Sometime Thing
4. Here come de Honey Man
5. Evening Ladies, Hello Boys
6. No, No, Brother, Porgy ain't Soft on no Woman
7. Gone, gone, gone
8. Overflow, overflow
9. I can't Puzzle this thing out
10. My man's Gone Now
11. Oh, The Train is at the Station
12. Oh, I'm Agoin' out to the Blackfish Banks
13. I Got Plenty o' Nuttin'
14. Mornin' Lawyer, Looking for Somebody?
15. Buzzard Song
16. Bess, You is my Woman Now
17. Oh, I can't Sit Down
18. Porgy, I Hate to Go
19. I Got Plenty o' Nuttin'
20. It Ain't Necessarily So
21. What You Want Wid Bess
22. Oh, I'm Agoin' out to the Blackfish Banks
23. Oh, Doctor Jesus
25. Here come de Honey Man
26. Oh Dey's so Fresh and Fine
27. I'm Talkin' about Devil Crabs
1. I Want to Stay Here / I Loves You, Porgy
3. Oh, Dere's Somebody Knockin' at the Do'
4. If God Want to Kill Me
5. A Red-headed Woman
6. Oh, Doctor Jesus
7. Clara, Clara, Don't You be Downhearted
9. Oh, Lawd, What I'm Goin' Do?
10. There's a Boat Dat's Leavin' Soon for New York
11. How are You Dis Mornin'?
12. Oh, Bess, Oh, Where's my Bess?
13. Oh Lawd, I'm on my Way
Bonus Tracks: California Suite
14. Mountain Desert Theme - The Golden West
15. We Think the West Coast is The Best Coast
16. Coney Island
17. The Miami Waltz
18. They Go to San Diego
19. Sunday Night in San Fernando
20. Got the Gate on the Golden Gate
21. Prelude to "Poor Little Extra Girl"
22. Poor Little Extra Girl
23. We Think the West Coast is The Best Coast & Finale
Total Time: 73:45 + 64:35 min.