Seldon Powell (1928-1997) was not an adventurer in either conception or sound. He was a solid, consolidated modern tenorist with a big, full tone, a superb beat, and largely interesting logically structured ideas. Powell plays with invigorating straight forwardness. He has the ability to take you with him all the way, in all tempos, and on all registers of his horn. On ballads, he combines lyricism with guts, and on the up tempos, he really digs in. Barry Ulanov mentioned in his excellent notes, that Powell had a ceaseless flow of melodic inspiration, a very precise description of what is so attractive, both in his playing and in these recordings.
Total time: 69:20 min.
01. Go First Class (Seldon Powell) 3:01
02. Why Was I Born (Hammerstein-Kern) 3:59
03. Love is Just Around the Corner (Robin-Gensler) 3:16
04. Someone to Watch Over Me (G. & I. Gershwin) 3:45
05. Count Fleet (Seldon Powell) 3:40
06. Autumn Nocturne (Gannon-Myrow) 5:17
07. Swingsville, Ohio (Seldon Powell) 4:53
08. Summertime (Heyward-Gershwin) 5:05
09. Woodyn' You (Dizzy Gillespie) 2:43
10. She's Funny That Way (Moret-Whiting) 2:40
11. Miss Melody (M. Gold) 2:22
12. I'll Close My Eyes (Reid-Kaye) 2:19
13. 11th Hour Blues (Seldon Powell) 2:30
14. A Flower is a Lonesome Thing (Billy Strayhorn) 2:39
15. It's a Cryin' Shame (HOffman-Blake) 3:31
16. Button Nose (Seldon Powell) 3:00
17. Undecided (Robin-Shavers) 3:18
18. Biscuit for Duncan (Seldon Powell) 4:06
19. Sleepy Time Down South (Rene-Muse) 2:48
20. Lolly Gag (Seldon Powell) 2:37
Seldon Powell Nonet (#1-8):
Jimmy Nottingham (tp), Bob Alexander (tb), Seldon Powell (ts), Pete Mondello (cl, ts), Heywood Henry (cl, bars), Tony Aless (p), Billy Bauer (g), Arnold Fishkin (b), Don Lamond (d).
Recorded in New York City, October 24 & November 14, 1955
Seldon Powell Sextet (#9-20):
Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Seldon Powell (ts), Freddie Green (g), Roland Hanna (p), Aaron Bell (b), Osie Johnson or Gus Johnson (d).
Recorded in New York City, 1956
Original liner notes: Barry Unlanov
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol