From their first appearance in the Chicago SRO club in the spring of 1957, the Ramsey Lewis Trio was considered, by the public and critics, one of the brightest jazz groups to appear in the jazz scene. Great jazzmen such as Dizzy Gillespie called them A gust of fresh air on the musical scene, and Duke Ellington said they were A bouquet of tonal delight. A trio with a rare combination of stimulating music and personal magnetism, the group was in the mold of the Modern Jazz Quartetthoughtful, studious, exploratory, but possessing a quietly throbbing, thoroughly captivating beat.
Total time: 68:58 min.
01. Carmen (Georges Bizet) 4:32
02. I'll Remember April (Raye-DePaul-Johnston) 4:13
03. The Wind (Russ Freeman) 4:04
04. Bie Mir Bist Du Schoen (Jacobs-Secunda-Kahn-Chaplin) 3:14
05. My Funny Valentine (Rodgers-Hart) 3:29
06. Fantasia For Drums (Ramsey Lewis) 5:46
07. Dees New Blues (Eldee Young) 2:58
08. Tres (Ramsey Lewis) 4:44
09. Limelight (Gerry Mulligan) 2:25
10. Delilah (Nicholls) 5:23
11. I Get A Kick Out Of You (Cole Porter) 3:02
12. Please Send Me Someone To Love (Percy Mayfield) 4:03
13. Brother John (P.D.) 3:51
14. Black Is The Color (P.D.) 4:49
15. It Ain't Necessarily So (G. & I. Gershwin) 2:48
16. Seven Valleys (Dick Katz) 5:28
17. On The Street Where You Live (Loewe-Lerner) 3:42
Tracks #1-9 from the 12" album "Ramsey Lewis & His Gentlemen of Swing" (Argo-611)
Tracks #10-17 from the 12" album "Ramsey Lewis & His Gentlemen of Jazz" (Argo-627)
Ramsey Lewis (p), Eldee Young (b), Isaac 'Red' Holt (d).
All sessions took place in Chicago.
Recorded in 1957 [#1-9] and 1958 [#10-17]
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L