Paul Quinichette (ts), Joe Newman, Thad Jones (tp), Henry Cooker (tb), Bill Graham (as, bs), Nat Pierce (p), Freddie Green, Doyle Salathiel (g), Eddie Jones, Wendell Marshall, Oscar Pettiford (b), Sonny Payne, Osie Johnson (d), Sylvia Pierce (vcl)
Reference: DCD 106
Bar code: 8427328441063
Special Collector's Edition
· Complete Sessions
· Bonus Tracks
· Original artwork and liner notes
· Hi-Fi Recordings
· Newly Remastered
01. Come Rain Or Come Shine (Arlen-Mercer) 4:12
02. Pardon The Blues (Ernie Wilkins) 3:18
03. Start Here (Ernie Wilkins) 4:50
04. Pennies From Heaven (Johnston-Burke) 4:27
05. Happy Feeling Manny Albam) 4:42
06. Honeysuckle Rose (Waller-Razaf) 5:09
07. Big Deal (Ernie Wilkins) 3:56
08. The Kid From Denver (Paul Quinichette) 3:19
09. Those Foolish Things (Link-Strachey-Marvell) 4:31
10. Along About This Time Of The Year (Darwin-Sykes-Lewis) 3:40
11. Colonel Hodge (Gene Roland) 4:17
12. If I´m Lucky (Darwin-Girard) 4:30 *
13. No Moon At All (Evans-Mann) 2:12
14. The Creeper (Pierce-Pettiford) 6:03
15. Big George (Gene Roland) 4:07 *
16. I Never Knew (Fiorito-Kahn) 2:02
17. You Leave Me Breathless (Freed-Hollander) 2:36
18. I´d Know You Anywhere (McHugh-Mercer) 2:36
19. Suitcase (Gene Roland) 4:44
20. Minor Scene (Gene Roland) 3:20
Total time: 78:40 min.
(*) Unissued Tracks
Tracks #1-8, originally issued on Dawn DLP-1109
Tracks #11,14,19 & 20, taken from Dawn album "Jazzville, Vol. 4" (DLP-1122)
Tracks #13,16,17 & 18, taken from Dawn album "New Voices" (DLP-1125)
Tracks #9 & 10, taken from Dawn album "Tenors Anyone?" (DLP-1126)
Tracks #12 & 15, previously unreleased
Personnel on #1-8:
Joe Newman, Thad Jones (tumpets), Henry Cooker (trombone), Bill Graham (alto & baritone sax), Paul Quinichette (tenor sax), Nat Pierce (piano), Freddie Green (guitar), Eddie Jones (bass), Sonny Payne (drums).
Recorded in New York City, on July 16, 1956
Personnel on #9-13:
Gene Roland (trumpet), Quinichette (tenor sax), Nat Pierce (piano), Freddie Green (guitar), Wendell Marshall (bass), Sonny Payne (drums), Sylvia Pierce (vocals on #13).
Recorded in New York City, on August 12, 1956
Personnel on #14-18:
Gene Roland (trumpet), Quinichette (tenor sax), Nat Pierce (piano), Doyle Salathiel (guitar), Oscar Pettiford (bass), Osie Johnson (drums), Sylvia Pierce (vocals on #16-18).
Recorded in New York City, on August 13, 1956
Personnel on #19-20:
Gene Roland, Johnny Carisi (trumpets), Bob Swope (trombone), Dick Meldonian (alto sax), Quinichette (tenor sax), Nat Pierce (piano), Dudley Watson (bass), Walter Nolan (drums).
Recorded in New York City, on August 16, 1956
Original sessions produced by Chuck Darwin
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
24-Bit · High Resolution Remastering
"The great Lester Young soundalike Paul Quinichette is well-featured on this reissue CD. He is heard on two numbers with a sextet led by trumpeter Gene Roland, playing two other songs with Roland's septet and on eight selections with his own ten-piece group (which is filled with players from the world of Count Basie). Best are two numbers ("Honeysuckle Rose" and "Pennies from Heaven") that feature Quinichette backed by Basie's rhythm section plus pianist Nat Pierce. There are not that many Paul Quinichette albums currently available, making this CD a rather definitive look at the underrated (if not particularly original) tenor."
Scott Yanow -All Music Guide
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!