Although Bobby Scott was only 17 when he made his recording debut with the first trio on this album, he was already a precociously gifted, Bud Powell-inspired pianist with a depth of experience that belied his youth. As this suggests, his playing was direct and emotionally expressive, with superb technique and swing, abundant imagination and a strong feeling for the blues. He was also a talented vibist, using this instrument to great effect in several performances on the third date here.
Together, these sessions seemed to herald the emergence of a considerable performer, particularly as he subsequently demonstrated his abilities as a singer, cellist, bassist and clarinetist. But they also display his distinctive gifts as a composer"you dont create music," he said, "you organize sound"so it was not totally surprising that he turned to composing and teaching for much of his subsequent career, dying of lung cancer in 1990.
Total time: 74:27 min.
01. Pee Wee (Scott) 2:13
02. Phil's Mood (Scott) 2:39
03. Moonbeaux (Scott)1:58
04. Tenderly (Gross-Lawrence) 2:43
05. Ode to Monk (Scott) 2:34
06. Polka Dots and Moonbeams (Burke-Van Heusen) 2:50
07. Gone with the Wind (Wrubel-Magidson) 2:11
08. Lullaby of Birdland (Shearing) 2:29
09. Just One of Those Things (Porter) 2:39
10. But Beautiful (Burke-Van Heusen) 2:47
11. Once in a While (Edwards-Green) 2:59
12. I Married an Angel (Rodgers-Hart) 2:32
13. Two Toes (Scott) 3:29
14. What's New (Burke-Haggart) 2:41
15. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Arlen-Koehler) 4:49
16. Summer Night (Scott) 3:04
17. Over the Rainbow (Arlen-Harburg) 4:13
18. Squaw Rock (Scott) 3:01
19. Potatoe Zalud (Scott) 4:09
20. These Foolish Things (Link-Strachey) 4:13
21. Milt Shake (Scott) 3:45
22. Skyline (Bishop) 6:02
23. Richard the Lion Hearted (Cavanaugh) 3:25
Tracks #1-8, from the 10" album "Great Scott" (Bethlehem BCP 1004)
Tracks #9-12, from the 10" album "Bobby Scott & Wally Cirillo" (Savoy MG 15055)
Tracks #13-23, from the 12" album "Scott Free" (ABC Paramount ABC 148)
Personnel on "Great Scott":
Bobby Scott (p), Whitey Mitchell (b), Will Bradley Jr. (d)
Recorded in New York City, September 21, 1954.
Personnel on "Bobby Scott & Wally Cirillo":
Bobby Scott (p), Jim Corbett (b), Al Levitt (d)
Recorded in Hackensack, New Jersey, March 15, 1955.
Personnel on "Scott Free":
Bobby Scott (p, vib), 'Knobby' Totah (b), Al Levitt (d)
Recorded in Hackensack, New Jersey, Sept. 19, 1955.
Original recordings produced by Creed Taylor (#1-8), Ozzie Cadena (#9-12), and Don Costa (#13-23).
Behlehem & ABC Paramount original covers designed by Burt Goldblatt.
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol.
24-Bit Digitally Remastered