Wilson Das Neves (vcl, perc), Jose Carlos g, vcl), Jorge Helder (b, vcl), Vitor Santos (tb), Thiago Martins (perc, vcl), Ivan Conti (d, perc, vcl), Aurea Martins (vcl), José Roberto Bertrami (p, organ), Zero (perc)
FARO 151 CD
Along with Wilson’s vocal and Conti’s drumming it’s the trombone that defines the Ipanemas sound. Vitor Santos is regarded as one of Brazil’s finest horn players in Brazilian music, which is clear the instant his first notes breeze out in opener ‘Que Beleza de Nega’. With the deep bass of Jorge Helder, stunning arrangements, intricate song writing, and magical layered musicianship ‘Que Beleza’ is a quality record that stands alongside their previous work. The addition of lady crooner Áurea Martins has added yet more Brazilian musical heritage to the band. Martins brings a vocal full of life and a serious roots edge to four tracks on the album in memorable back and forth duets with Wilson including standouts ‘Festa Indigesta’, ‘Lembranças’, and heavy, warped Afro closer ‘Eparrei’.
01. Que beleza de nega (Das Neves-Pinheiro) 4:50
02. A cara dele (Jose Carlos Batista dos Santos) 5:13
03. Euê ô (Das Neves-Lopes) 4:18
04. Espelho d'água (Jose Carlos Batista dos Santos) 4:33
05. Olhando três [Looking 3] (Jorge Helder) 4:33
06. Festa indigesta (Das Neves-Lopes) 4:05
07. Lembranças (Das Neves-Kassin) 4:10
08. Nega e kota (Ivan Conti) 4:20
09. Passa o ponto (Jorge Helder) 2:46
10. Traz um presente pra Mim (Das Neves-Jorge) 4:47
11. Eparrei (Conti-Martins) 3:35
Total time: 47:10 min.
Wilson Das Neves (vocals, percussion), Jose Carlos (acoustic guitar, vocals), Jorge Helder (bass, vocals), Vitor Santos (trombone), Thiago Martins (percussion, vocals), Ivan 'Mamao' Conti (drums, percussion, vocals). Special guests: Aurea Martins (vocals), José Roberto Bertrami (piano, organ), Zero (percussion).
Arrangements by Wilson Das Neves, Jorge Helder, Jose Carlos & Ivan Conti.
Recorded at Estudio dos Technicos, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, 2010
Engineered by Mario Jorge & Magrao
Mixed by Dave Brinkworth at Sound Solution Studios, London
Mastered by Byron Mitchell
Artwork: Andy Votel
Produced by Joe Davis & Ivan 'Mamao' Conti
Assisted by Dave Brinkworth