Max Bennett is a superior bassist and expansive musician, a man of many talents. He has always surrounded himself with the top-flight Los Angeles musicians, the better to enhance his own creative artistry. However, this early recording, the second he did as a leader, took place in New York when he was with the Stan Kenton band touring the East Coast during the fall of 1955.
It was done in two long sessions on December 14, when Max put together a rhythm section including himself, the two-fisted piano of Dave McKenna and the precise timekeeping of Mel Lewis on drums. The three men are not only heard here as a trio, but also providing the solid rhythmic support of asextet including Nick Travis, Charlie Mariano and Jack Nimitz, and a quartet that showcases Carl Fontanas master trombone work. As for Bennett, hearing the way he employs the vernacular of the trade he represents so well, we are sure you will agree that Max is the Factor.
01. Blues (Bennett) 5:16
02. Max Is The Factor (Cohn) 3:00
03. Strike Up The Band (Gershwin-Gershwin) 3:29
04. 13 Toes (McKenna) 3:07
05. Polka Dots And Moonbeams (Van Heusen-Burke) 4:03
06. Nice Work If You Can Get It (Gershwin-Gershwin) 2:26
07. Taking A Chance On Love (Duke-Latouche) 3:27
08. Johnny Jaguar (Niehaus) 5:13
09. My Heart Belongs To Daddy (Porter) 3:34
10. Something To Remember You By (Schwartz-Dietz) 2:31
11. I Hadnt Anyone Till You (Noble) 3:28
12. Ira Of The I.R.A. (Brookmeyer) 4:47
13. S Posin (Denniker-Razaf) 2:28
14. Sweet Sue (Just You) (Young-Harris) 2:44
Tracks #2-6 & 8-12, from the album "Max Bennett, Vol. II" (Bethlehem BCP48)
Tracks #1,7,13-14, from the album "Max Bennett Plays" (Bethlehem BCP50)
Tracks #4,10,13: MAX BENNETT TRIO
Dave McKenna (piano), Max Bennett (bass), Mel Lewis (drums).
Tracks #1,3,5,7,9,11,14: MAX BENNETT QUARTET
Carl Fontana (trombone), Dave McKenna (piano), Max Bennett (bass), Mel Lewis (drums).
Tracks #2,6,8,12: MAX BENNETT SEXTET
Nick Travis (trumpet), Charlie Mariano (alto sax), Jack Nimitz (baritone sax), Dave McKenna (piano), Max Bennett (bass), Mel Lewis (drums).
All tracks recorded in New York City, December 14, 1955
This CD compilation produced by Jordi Pujol
Hi Fi · Digitally Remastered