Reference: FSRCD 1655
Bar code: 8427328616553
Swingin in the Ol Corral or Ill Be Hanged If They Dont Hang Me First owes its existence to a disc jockey named Jack Wagner, who had the fine habit of more than occasionally spinning jazz recordings on his several KHJ programs. The Dave Pell Octet happened to be one of his favorite groups, and so it was Dave to whom he turned when it occurred to him to present a sterling galaxy of Western tunes in a jazz format.
Pell seized on this one like a small lad going after a licorice stick, and in due time Swingin in the Ol Corral was strictly fact. The fact of the matter is that here is an album of great joy and rare good humor. Lofty praise of this success must be heaped on the various arrangers, who did a tasty job with this collection of songs certainly familiar to everyone.
01. I'm an Old Cowhand (Mercer) 2:55
02. Gal in Calico (Schwartz-Robin) 2:28
03. Empty Saddles (Hill-Brennan) 4:30
04. Arkansas (Evans-Ram) 2:44
05. Camptown March and Blues (Trad.) 3:14
06. South of the Border (Kennedy-Carr) 4:18
07. Wagon Wheels (Hill-DeRose) 4:13
08. Across the Alley from the Alamo (Greene) 2:26
09. My Sombrero (Cugat) 3:38
10. Oklahoma Hills (Guthrie-Guthrie) 3:10
11. Cool Water (Nolan) 3:25
12. I'll Be Hanged (MacCarthy-Redmond-Mysels) 3:08
Total time: 40:00 min aprox.
Originally issued on 12" album as RCA LPM-1394
Personnel on all tracks:
Don Fagerquist (tp), Dave Pell (ts), Marty Berman (bs), Ray Sims (tb), Tommy Tedesco (g), Marty Paich (p), Buddy Clark (b), Frank Capp (d).
Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, on September 16 (#5,7,11); 18 (#3,4,6,8,10); and 21 (#1,2,9,12), 1956
Arrangers: Shorty Rogers (#1 & 12), Med Flory (#2), Jack Montrose (#3 & 10), Bill Holman (#4 & 8), Jerry Fielding (#5 & 11) and Marty Paich (#6,7 & 9).
Original recordings supervised by Shorty Rogers
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Hi Fi · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!