Shelly Manne, Art Pepper, Chet Baker, Zoot Sims, Phineas Newborn, Toshiko Akiyoshi, wes Montgomery
Bar code: 8436028690558
Although there have been many regions throughout the United States - and the world at large - that have greatly contributed to the development of jazz, a special place must be reserved for the two coasts - namely the cities of New York and Los Angeles - where the bulk of modern jazz developed and evolved.
This outstanding DVD series pays homage to the two coasts and to some of the most important musicians who have spent a major part of their career there. Some of these musicians were born in the Midwest, or the South, and later moved to one of the two coasts. What is taken into account when placing the musician in the East or West Coast categories, is where they spent the bulk of their artistic career, or where they recorded their most influential works. In the case of Lester Young, - whose incredible impact was felt throughout the entire country - he was placed on the West Coast, due to his especially strong influence on the generations of saxophonists from that Coast.
This collection focuses exclusively on live performances ranging from clubs to festivals to TV studio engagements, without any speakers or introducers... Nothing but music!
01. ART PEPPER - D. Section 12'38"
02. CHET BAKER - If I Should Lose You 5'46"
03. ZOOT SIMS - On The Trail 8'31"
04. PHINEAS NEWBORN TRIO - Lush Life 4'30"
05. PHINEAS NEWBORN TRIO - Theme For Basie 4'30"
06. PHINEAS NEWBORN TRIO - Oleo 2'13"
07. TOSHIKO AKIYOSHI-LEW TABACKIN BIG BAND - Hempecked Old Man 5'52"
08. SHELLY MANNE QUINTET - The Isolate Pawn 5'09"
09. SHELLY MANNE QUINTET - Fantan 4'58"
10. WES MONTGOMERY - Jingles 5'12"
Total time: 60:00 min.