When West Coast jazz was at its peak in the middle 1950s, tenorist Teddy Edwards was working around Los Angeles in relative obscurity. But late in the decade, when the Eastern sounds established forceful new trends, he came back with force.
In the words of pianist Joe Castro, Leroy Vinnegar and I have played together off and on for four or five years. We were never satisfied with our drummer until we got Billy Higgins. Later casually Leroy introduced me to Teddy Edwards, when we did the Stars of Jazz TV show. Everybody felt good playing together and we naturally hung out and worked a lot together.
The quartet began under the direction of Leroy Vinnegar, and soon worked and recorded under the leadership of both Castro and Edwards. These are all the recordings the quartet made. Edwards tone is vigorous, with a deep, throaty, visceral quality to it; and Castro, with his swinging and funky modern piano, is an ideal partner for this earthier direction in jazz.
01. Love For Sale (Cole Porter) 3:46
02. Walk On (Leroy Vinnegar) 3:41
03. Old Folks (Robinson-Hill) 3:01 *
04. Groove Funk Soul (Joe Castro) 5:36
05. Yesterdays (Kern-Harbach) 7:19
06. Day Dream (Ellington-Strayhorn-Latouche) 6:58
07. It Could Happen to You (Burke-Van Heusen) 3:29
08. Play Me the Blues (Teddy Edwards) 9:15
09. That's All (Haymes-Brandt) 5:41 *
10. Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You (Redman-Razaf) 2:31
11. I'll Be Over (Gloria Smyth) 2:08
12. Billie's Bounce (Charlie Parker) 6:36
13. A Foggy Day (G. & I. Gershwin) 7:46
01. Up in Teddys New Flat (Teddy Edwards) 3:03
02. Me and My Lover (Billy Higgins) 2:38
03. Sunset Eyes (Teddy Edwards) 5:24
04. Takin' Off (Teddy Edwards) 6:29
05. Vintage '57 (Leroy Vinnegar) 7:09
06. Teddy's Tune (Teddy Edwards) 6:08
07. Blues in G (Teddy Edwards) 6:51
08. Scrapple from the Apple (Charlie Parker) 5:49
09. What's New? (Haggart-Burke) 3:59
10. You Name It (Teddy Edwards) 4:18
11. Take the 'A' Train (Billy Strayhorn) 7:22
12. The Sermon (Hampton Hawes) 7:04
13. Higgin's Hideaway (Teddy Edwards) 4:30
(*) Teddy Edwards out
Sources CD 1:
Tracks #1-3, from the collective compilation "Bob Andrews Presents West Coast Sax Album" (Vantage Records NOCD 5612)
Tracks #4-9, from "Joe Castro -Groove Funk Soul" (Atlantic 1324)
Tracks #10-11, taken from "Gloria Smyth -Like Soul!" (World Pacific STEREO-1293)
Tracks #12-13, taken from "Sonny Rollins at Music Inn / Teddy Edwards at Falcon's Lair" (MetroJazz E1011)
Sources CD 2:
Tracks #1,3-6, from "Sunset Eyes" (Pacific Jazz PJ-14)
Track #2, from the 45 rpm single Pacific Jazz X-302
Tracks #7-13, from "Teddy's Ready" (Contemporary S7583)
Teddy Edwards (tenor sax), Joe Castro (piano), Leroy Vinnegar (bass), Billy Higgins (drums, vocals only on CD-2 #2). Gloria Smyth (added vocals on CD-1 #10-11).
Recorded in Hollywood, 1958-1960
This compilation produced for CD reissue by Jordi Pujol.
24-Bit · Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.