This CD brings together two excellent sessions that Chamblee made in Chicago in 1957 and 1958, fronting a septet of outstanding category that had previously served as a very efficient backing group on some of the recordings made by his wife Dinah Washington. They were most certainly not just mere blowing sessions in the studio but effective and exciting arrangements executed with enormous precision and swing.
Throughout these sessions we can hear Chamble in his triple facet of impressive honker, excellent composer and quality arranger. Apart from the splendid labours of the leader, on many of the themes that appear on this CD we can hear other experienced jazzmen such as Joe Newman, Johnny Coles, Charlie Davis or Jack Wilson.
A very suitable example of the extraordinary quality of a musician who made some of his best performances fronting small combos, the type of formation that allowed him to demonstrate his great musical qualities and his enormous capacity for swinging.
Total time: 67:22 min.
01. Chamblee Special (Chamblee-Freema) 4:29
02. Without A Song (Youmans-Rose-Eliscu) 4:39
03. At Your Beck And Cal (Delange-Ram) 2:40
04. And The Angels Sing (Elman-Mercer) 3:58
05. Whisper Not (Benny Golson) 3:10
06. Flat Beer (Chamblee-Freema) 4:11
07. Sometimes I'm Happy (Youmans-Caesar) 4:34
08. Stella By Starlight (Young-Washington) 3:58
09. Tea For Two (Youmans-Caesar) 3:14
10. Strollin' Sax (Priester-Washington) 2:12
11. Stardust (Carmichael-Parish) 4:17
12. Swing A Little Taste (Priester-Washington) 1:52
13. Robbin's Nest (Thompson-Jacquet) 4:01
14. Doodlin' (Horace Silver) 2:38
15. Village Square (Priester-Washington) 2:23
16. Lone Gone (Eddie Chamblee) 4:23
17. Lester Leaps Again (Buck Clayton) 3:24
18. Solitude (Ellington-Delange-Mills) 4:35
19. Back Street (Eddie Chamblee) 2:14
Tracks #1-9, from the Mercury Stereo LP "Chamblee Music" (SR 60127)
Tracks #10-19, from the Mercury Stereo LP "Doodlin'" (SR 80007)
Tracks #1-9: Johnny Coles (trumpet), Julian Priester (trombone), Eddie Chamblee (tenor sax), Charles Davis (baritone sax), Jack Wilson (piano), Richard Evans (bass), Charles Persip (drums).
Joe Newman (trumpet) and Osie Johnson (drums) replaces Coles & Persip on #6-9.
Recorded at Universal Recording Studio, Chicago, 1957
Tracks #10-19: Flip Ricard (trumpet), Julian Priester (trombone), Eddie Chamblee (tenor sax, vocals on #11), Charles Davis (baritone sax), Jack Wilson (piano), Robert Wilson (bass), James Slaughter (drums.
Recorded at Universal Recording Studio, Chicago, 1958
Sound engineer: Bill Putnam
Original sessions produced by Bob Shad
This compilation produced for CD release by Tomás Gonzalez & Jordi Pujol
© 2005 by Fresh Sound Records
Stereo · Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas S.L.