Bar code: 8436019589502
This release contains all of the music from the 1957-1958 sessions that reunited Annie Ross and Gerry Mulligan, including some tunes that were issued separately or on compilations and not on the original album. This album was one of Annie Ross most acclaimed - and also included Chet Baker and Art Farmer.
As a bonus, the complete 10" Annie Ross album "Annie by Candlelight" (1956) and a version of Skylark previously issued as a single.
01. I FEEL PRETTY (3:34)
02. IVE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO YOUR FACE (3:01)
03. ALL OF YOU (2:20)
04. GIVE ME THE SIMPLE LIFE (3:36)
05. THIS IS ALWAYS (4:22)
06. MY OLD FLAME (3:52)
07. THIS TIME THE DREAMS ON ME (3:25)
08. LET THERE BE LOVE (3:45)
09. BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA (3:42)
10. HOW ABOUT YOU? (2:53)
11. I GUESS ILL HAVE TO CHANGE MY PLAN (2:26)
12. THIS IS ALWAYS (4:01) (Alternate Version)
13. IT DONT MEAN A THING (2:11)
14. THE LADYS IN LOVE WITH YOU (2:27)
15. YOU TURNED THE TABLES ON ME (3:27)
16. IVE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO YOUR FACE (3:06) (Alternate Version)
17. GYPSY IN MY SOUL (2:41) (*) Bonus Track
18. I LOVE PARIS (2:19) (*) Bonus Track
19. I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT YOU (3:22) (*) Bonus Track
20. THE LADYS IN LOVE WITH YOU (2:15) (*) Bonus Track
21. T AINT WHAT YOU DO (2:46) (*) Bonus Track
22. DONT LET THE SUN CATCH YOU CRYING (4:52) (*) Bonus Track
23. BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA (2:27) (*) Bonus Track
24. DONT WORRY ABOUT ME (2:19) (*) Bonus Track
25. SKYLARK (2:57) (*) Bonus Track
Total time: 78:17 min.
Tracks #1-11 from "Annie Ross Sings A Song With Mulligan" (World Pacific WP-1253).
Tracks #17-24 originally issued as "Annie by Candlelight" (Nixa NJT-504, subsequently reissued as PYE Golden Guinea GGL0316).
Personnel [on 1-16]: Annie Ross (vcl), Gerry Mulligan (bs), Art Farmer (tp on 1-6), Chet Baker (tp on 7-16), Bill Crow (b on 1-6), Henry Grimes (b on 7-16), Dave Bailey (d). Recorded in New York City, on September 25, 1958 (1-6). December 11 & 17, 1957 (7-16).
Personnel [on 17-25]: Annie Ross (vcl), Bob Burns (cl), Tony Crombie (p), Roy Plummer (b), Lennie Rush (d). Recorded in London, on August 24 & 28, 1956.
-Sings A Song With Mulligan
"Singer Annie Ross' first solo album after joining Lambert, Hendricks & Ross finds her at the peak of her powers. Ross is joined by two versions of the Gerry Mulligan Quartet with either Chet Baker or Art Farmer on trumpet, Bill Crow or Henry Grimes on bass, and drummer Dave Bailey. Annie Ross is at her best (and most appealing) on "I've Grown Accustomed to Your Face," "Give Me the Simple Life," "How About You," and "The Lady's in Love With You," but all the selections are quite rewarding and her interplay with baritonist Mulligan is consistently memorable. This date plus its follow-up A Gasser are both essential."
-Annie By Candlelight
"This little-known set from 1956 features singer Annie Ross four years after she originally recorded "Twisted" but a year before the formation of Lambert, Hendricks & Ross. Based in London at the time, Ross avoids scatting and vocalese in favor of conventional swinging and jazz-oriented interpretations of standards. Backed tastefully by pianist Tony Crombie, clarinetist Bob Burns, guitarist Roy Plummer and bassist Lennie Rush, Annie Ross shows that she could have been a successful solo artist if she had not met up with Dave Lambert and Jon Hendricks; at times she almost sounds like Susannah McCorkle."
Both by Scott Yanow -All Music Guide