Stan “the Man” Turrentine
Featuring: Stanley Turrentine (ts), Sonny Clark or Tommy Flanagan (p), George Duvivier (b), Max Roach (d)
REFERENCE: ST 2007
BAR CODE: -
This first album as a leader by Stanley Turrentine was done in a relaxed, crisp, swinging style. Stan had the assistance of George Duvivier, whose bass is a foundation that makes any group feel secure; Max Roach on drums, whose taste is impeccable and always constructive. The piano was equally divided among the old reliable Tommy Flanagan and Sonny Clark, whose swinging piano has caused many a musician to sit up and take notice. Listening to Stanley Turrentine you realize his inspiration and early schooling goes back to Coleman Hawkins era. But Stan’s style is unique.
01. Let's Groove (Stanley Turrentine) 6:00
02. Sheri (Stanley Turrentine) 4:46
03. Stolen Sweets (Bill Davis) 5:17
04. Mild is the Mood (Stanley Turrentine) 4:57
05. Minor Mood (Clifford Brown) 5:07
06. Time after Time (Styne-Cahn) 3:15
07. My Girl is Just Enough Woman for Me (Stanley Turrentine) 4:40
Recorded in New York City, 1960.