Reference: FSRCD 416
Bar code: 8427328604161
In a jazz scene literally overflowing with brilliant pianists, the clear truth is that a disproportionate number of them rely on their skill as technicians rather than their imagination, their wit and their new approach to older ideas. Mostly, the latter attributes are lacking. In Kenny Drew, however, we had a pianist whose skill was readily apparentit was so apparent, in fact, that he chose not to belabor the point and astonish us with virtuosity for its own sake. Skill having been stated to everyones satisfaction, Drew went on to other mattersto the subtleties in shading and expression that made him unique.
01. Yesterdays (Kern-Harbach) 5:19
02. Stella By Starlight (Young-Washington) 2:26
03. Gloria (Drew) 3:21
04. Be My Love (Cahn-Brodzsky) 2:41
05. Lover Come Back To Me (Romberg-Hammerstein) 3:30
06. Everything Happens To Me (Adair-Dennis) 4:39
07. It Might As Well Be Spring (Rodgers-Hammerstein) 2:46
08. Drews Blues (Drew) 2:23
09. Bluesville (Drew) 5:21
10. Angie (Drew) 5:33
11. Ill Remember April (Raye-DePaul-Johnston) 6:33
12. My Beautiful Lady (McLellan-Caryll) 5:33
13. Many Miles Away (Drew) 2:42
14. Four And Five (Drew) 3:13
15. Fifty-Second St. Theme (Monk) 3:22
16. Lo Flame (Drew) 3:34
17. Chartreuse (Drew) 4:29
18. Kennys Blues (Drew) 5:55
19. Polka Dots And Moonbeams (Burke-Van Heusen) 4:16
This compilation includes the albums:
Tracks #1-8, from the Blue Note 10" LP "New Faces / New Sounds" (BLP 5023)
Tracks #9-19, from the Norgran 10" LP "Kenny Drew And His Progressive Piano" (MGN 1066)
Tracks #1-8: Kenny Drew (p), Curley Russell (b), Art Blakey (d).
Recorded in New York City, on April 16, 1953
Tracks #9-13: Kenny Drew (p), Eugene Wright (b), Charles "Specs" Wright (d).
Recorded in New York City, 1953
Tracks #14-18: Kenny Drew (p, solo on #19), Eugene Wright (b), Lawrence Marable (d).
Recorded in Hollywood, on September 2, 1954
Blue Note session produced by Alfred Lion, Norgran recordings supervised by Norman Granz
This CD release produced by Jordi Pujol