An outstanding example of the Ellington Orchestra playing jazz standards, this release includes the complete original album Ellington Indigos plus three rare tunes omitted from the original LP and all of the alternate takes.
Much of the bonus material appears here on CD for the first time ever. This is the Ellington leading his legendary dance band. As the original liner notes for the Indigos album clearly states, the Ellington orchestra not only performed in concert halls - presenting extended suites to be listened to from the comfort of a plush theater seat - it was also a legendary dance band, accustomed to playing very personal versions of the most celebrated standards as well as the numerous compositions by its leader. It must be said, however, that the prolific Ellington book well outnumbered the renditions of tunes from Tin-Pan- Alley. Therefore, Duke and his long-time partner Billy Strayhorn's treatment of well known songs like "Willow Weep for Me", "Tenderly" and "Dancing in the Dark", always makes for an exciting listening experience.
01. SOLITUDE (4:43)
02. WHERE OR WHEN (4:02)
03. MOOD INDIGO (3:07)
04. NIGHT AND DAY (2:54)
05. PRELUDE TO A KISS (4:44)
06. ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE (3:50)
07. WILLOW WEEP FOR ME (4:15)
08. TENDERLY (5:23)
09. DANCING IN THE DARK (4:28)
10. AUTUMN LEAVES (7:12)
11. THE SKY FELL DOWN (2:57) (*) Bonus Track
12. COMMERCIAL (3:22) (*) Bonus Track
13. MOOD INDIGO (4:04) [Alternate Take #1]
14. MOOD INDIGO (3:05) [Alternate Take #2]
15. AUTUMN LEAVES (6:14) [Alternate Take]
16. WILLOW WEEP FOR ME (3:55) [Alternate Take]
17. WHERE OR WHEN (3:57) [Alternate Take]
18. ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE (4:00) [Alternate Take]
19. LOVE [MY HEART, MY MIND, MY EVERYTHING] (2:30) (*) Bonus Track
Total time: 78:53 min.
Tracks #1-11 originally issued in 1957 as "Ellington Indigos" (Columbia LP CS8053 Stereo / CL1085 Mono).
Personnel: Clark Terry, Willie Cook, Cat Anderson, Harold "Shorty" Baker (tp), Ray Nance (tp, vln, vcl), Quentin Jackson, John Sanders, Britt Woodman (tb), Jimmy Hamilton (cl, ts), Russell Procope (as, cl), Johnny Hodges, Rick Henderson (as), Paul Gonsalves (ts), Harry Carney (bs, cl, bcl), Duke Ellington (p), Jimmy Woode (b), Sam Woodyard (d), Jimmy Grissom (vcl on #11 & 19) and Ozzie Bailey (vcl on #10 & 15). Recorded in New York, March 13, September 9 and October 1-14, 1957.