Dick Hafer (ts), Ross Tompkins (p), Dave Carpenter (b), Jake Hanna (d)
Reference: FSRCD 5002
Bar code: 8427328650021
01. Three Little Words (Kalmar-Ruby) 5:35
02. Sometimes I'm Happy (Caesar-Youmans) 6:35
03. What Is This Thing Called Love? (Porter) 5:05
04. Stompin' At The Savoy (Razaf-Goodman) 7:18
05. Blue And Sentimental (Basie-David-Livingston) 4:57
06. I Found A Neww Baby (Palmer-Williams) 4:58
07. Sweet And Lovely (Arnheim-Tobias-Lemare) 7:29
08. High On You (Al Cohn) 5:35
09. Moten Swing (Moten-Moten) 6:33
10. Rosetta (Hines-Woode) 4:47
11. Just You, Just Me (Klages-Greer) 4:41
12. Zoot Case (Zoot Sims) 4:56
Total time: 68:29 min.
Dick Hafer (tenor sax); Ross Tompkins (piano); Dave Carpenter (bass); Jake Hanna (drums).
Recorded at Sage & Sound Studio, Hollywood, February 28 & March 1, 1994
Engineered by Jim Mooney
Assistant engineer: Don Mooney
Liner notes: Bill Perking & Dick Bank
Photography: William Claxton
Design: Rafa Ros
Producer: Dick Bank
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
"Veteran tenor saxophonist Dick Hafer's sudden emergence as a brilliant soloist on his Fresh Sound recording is a very welcome event. A reliable musician for the previous 40 years (mostly as a section player in big bands), Hafer heads a quartet (with pianist Ross Tompkins, bassist Dave Carpenter, and drummer Jake Hanna) and displays his own wonderful tenor sound, which not only looks toward Lester Young of the 1930s but Prez of the '50s. Hafer is quite creative within Young's style (not merely copying Prez) and swings hard on ten swing standards and a song apiece by Al Cohn and Zoot Sims. It's a wonderful outing of melodic mainstream music by an often overlooked tenor master."
Scott Yanow -All Music Guide
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!