Bacchanal (digipack Edition)
Featuring: Gabor Szabo, Jimmy Stewart (g); Hal Gordon (percussion), Jim Keltner (d), Louis Kabok (b).
REFERENCE: SK 1002
BAR CODE: 8427328447027
Labeled “the Nureyev of the guitar” by jazz critic Leonard Feather, Gabor Szabo was at his creative peak at the end of the Sixties, when he recorded his masterpiece “Bacchanal”. Szabo’s Sixties quintet is on top form here (featuring guitarist Jimmy Stewart) with another of his unique collections of both jazz and pop hits. His restrained use of feedback at just the right moments shows Szabo was willing to open up to new sounds yet he keeps a tight grip on his signature sound throughout these eight cuts.
1. Three King Fishers (Donovan) 4:48
2. Love is Blue (Popp/Cour/Blackburn) 4:17
3. Theme from "Valley of the Dolls" (Previn/Previn) 3:48
4. Bacchanal (Gabor Szabo) 4:55
5. Sunshine Superman (Donovan) 3:45
6. Some Velvet Morning (Lee Hazelwood) 5:10
7. The Look of Love (Bacharach/David) 3:15
8. Divided City (Gabor Szabo) 3:20
Originally recorded in February 1968, this CD version has the same tracks in the same order as list as the original release (out of print since the early 1980s) and with a tasteful digipack sleeve and original artwork.
Personnel: Gabor Szabo, Jimmy Stewart (g); Hal Gordon (percussion), Jim Keltner (d) & Louis Kabok (b).
Recorded: Western Recording Studios, Los Angeles, CA, February 9, 1968.